2005 Pontiac G6 3500 V6 terribly pulls left - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

2005 Pontiac G6 3500 V6 terribly pulls left

Hello, G6 owners,

I own a 2005 pointiac G6, a 6 cylinder with 47000 miles on it. I got it with 34000 miles in August of 2007. Since the day i got it, the car has been terribly pulling left mainly on the high way (if i let go of the wheel while on the high way in the left lane i'll be on the grass in about 5 seconds). The faster i go the harder it pulls. I lost count of how many times i did the allignment on it. I took it to Firestone and NTB. Both did allignment on it about 4 times each and did not result in fixing the problem. Both places told me that there was nothing wrong with the suspension. On the high way it pulls no matter what lane i'm in. Of course the left lane pulls the most. It's really annoying that i have to hold the car from going left constantly. I recently replaced the rack and pinion assembly on it and did the allignment at NTB again. No change at all. Still pulls the same exact way. Say i'm on the high way and i let go of the wheel: it turns by itself and starts to lean left meaning that it's not the steering wheel possition. I'm sure that all the tire rods and control arms are good but i cannot find a way to make it stop pulling.

If anybody ever had that problem or knows a solution please let me know.

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Sounds like your car is "Dog Legging". Have somebody follow you for a couple miles.Ever see a dog walk,its front legs are strait & its hind legs are off to 1 side so the dog actually never walks strait.

07/G5,85&78 VETTE'S,,,,WIFE 08/G6
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

so what are you saying? ... when i let go of the wheel it just turns left on it's own and pulls the car with it ... like the car is heavier on the left side ... what could cause that?

thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:52 PM

Think of your car as a X ,the 4 points of of the X are your tires. if the points don't align up perfectly it will track wrong. It could be a number of reasons,the car could of been in a accident,could of hit a curb & bent the uni body,the strut towers could be bent, strut tower bearings/bushings worn, rear bushings etc. When the shop did the alignment ,did thay do a 4 wheel alignment?

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

ummm ... yeah they did a 4 wheel allignment ...

so how do i check all that stuff? ... cuz i definately don't want to take it to a stealership cuz i never trusted them ... they lie

you were right about the accident though because i got it from an online auction hit in the rear ... but it wasn't hit all that hard though ... all i reaplaced was the rear bumper, the left tail light, the trunk lid and the rear metal sheet ... the hit didn't even reach the suspension ... the rails were all good and the floors weren't even damaged ...

so ... how can i figure out what's going on with it?

thanks so much for the info
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 PM

ive seen a bad tire cause a vehicle to pull, maybe try rotating a few tires around. also, is it possible the brake is dragging on the front tire?
also, dog legging is called dog tracking. basically the rear wheels will not follow the front wheels. see below. this usually happens when the vehicle has been broadsided and not properly straightened.

|| - ||
....X
.|| - ||
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

no all tires were worn out when i bought the car and i put brand new tires on it ... bfgoodrich all season ...

hmmm ... that does sound like something that could have happend but wouldn't the allignment fix that? plus again the car was hit very slightly ... no frame damage was caused ...

thanks for the reply
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM

A sticking caliper would generate a lot of heat,you could smell it burning.You could find a level surface after hitten the brakes about a dozen times,put the car in Nutreal & see if you can push it,or try that on a slight incline & see if it rolls back on its own.
You can get a tapemeasure & get a couple point to point measurements on the front & rear of the car & see if their the same on both sides. Only other thing i can think of is a collision center that does uni body work & have then go over it,I would ask for a Estimate 1st tho.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

ok ... i'm not exactly sure what you mean by uni body ...

that's a really good advice though about the mesuring tape ... i'm gonna do that on saturday and see ...

thanks a lot
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM

A manufacturing process where sheet metal body parts are combined with stress-bearing elements to form the body and chassis as a single piece, as opposed to attaching body parts to a frame.
Uni Body construction, No "Full Frame"

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

so i checked the distance between the centers of wheels today and it was exactly the same on both sides ...

it's most likely not the uni body because it wasn't hit hard enough to damage even the floor in the trunk ... uni body is pretty hard to bend if i get what it is

this thing is making me mad ... i don't even know what to do with it anymore ... how can a car be pulling left with no particular reason and when 2 different companies did allignment on it? ... i just don't understand it
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

oh and also there's slight vibration when i'm driving on the high way ... even if the road is new it still vibrates and i can feel it on the steering wheel ... i know that could be the ballance on the tires but it started that after the last time i did the allignment on it ... and when i got the new tires they ballanced them ... what's going on?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

so i just searched for more forums and found someone else with that same problem i have ... a guy had the same thing going on on his 2005 chevy cobalt ... the dealreship told him that it was the steering column ... that there this computer electric steering thing in there and it needs to be replaced ... his symptoms are exactly like mine so i think i have the same problem on mine ... i'm gonna try to see if i can find a steering column that i can buy
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 05:43 AM

Was unable to get on this forum for a few day's. Hope that colum cures the problem,let us know if it does & good luck.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

hmmmm ... so yeah ... i replaced the whole steering column and the motor that conects to it ... but it didn't solve the problem ... i'm pissed ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in