Slight "pop" in front end on take-off - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Yup, but mine has 65,000kms on it. Front brakes have already been serviced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Yea Im having the same problem with the brakes after they get hot....sounds like a low rumble when I get on the brakes on a long high speed stop......Funny the dealer couldnt duplicate it.

Ive gone through the popping noise when hitting bumps or turning into driveways.

Irritating rattle in the headliner......took the dome light out and reached my hand up there to find some loose wires laying on top of the headliner.

Now I got a starter running after starting ( occasional ) for maybe a second or 2 after starting.

Gimme my old Goat back ! !
post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 AM

My O6 also had pop sound in the steering. Fixed with lubrication. There is also a GM service bulliten on this which replaces the steering shaft. Also have a rattle over bumps at low speeds, more so when cold so they replaced the shaft. Pop is still fixed but rattle is still there. Make sure you buy extended warranty before your 60 k is up. Any similar front end rattles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Check out this site for service bulletins. There is one for starter run on. They will replace it. http://www.lemonlaws.info/Recall-Bulletin.aspx
post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM

Front End POP

Just got my '07 back from the dealership where they installed a new intermediate shaft in the steering - the pop is gone! Don't know how long it will last, but for now my car is not maddeningly irritating to drive again...
post #21 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks NIXY........DAMN !! only 135 TSB's for '05 G6. I saw the starter TSB in there. The dealer reprogrammed the PCM . Looks like there are a lot of issues with the PCM / powertrain. I also had a little "engine flair" after a few seconds when i first start the car up....i put it in gear, the engine's idle went up and the damn car leaped forward. Everyone watch out for this one also !
post #22 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Hi All, it's my first post here and I'm looking for some advice. My car also has the slight knock as I pull away when I have the steering turned. I jacked up the car and found a lot of play in the drivers side tie rod end. Took it back to the main dealers as the car is still under warranty (28K miles). Explained exactly what I found, they examined the car and said the entire rack needs replaced! I asked how they came to that conclusion and was shown a pontiac troubleshooting guide which stepped through checks such as hoses knocking against each other and other mostly non-steering stuff but eventually said "customer is experiencing noise from the rack and pinion, replace steering rack with p/n ..." When I asked if they would replace the tie rod end along with the rack the guy told me he wasn't sure. He also said those tie rods were supposed to have play in them! I pointed out that the other side didn't and he didn't have an answer. Any advice would be appreciated, should I let them tear my car apart? There are other Pontiac dealers in the area so maybe I should get a second opinion? thanks for any help and sorry for the long post...
post #23 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 02:59 PM

So I decided to let the dealer replace the whole steering rack. They took a couple of hours longer than they had quoted. When I asked why they told me that when they got into the job they realised that the tie rod end was trashed and they had to send out for a new one... D'oh! Anyway it's a good result as there's no more knocks, the handling is much improved and it didn't cost me a cent.
post #24 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM

I too have that some problem with the clicking noise. wasnt sure what it was from until i read this thread. From what i gather it generally is coming from the steering column or rack and the main issure is the intermediate shaft. i generally drive my car hard but i have had this problem since i bought the car. so im going to send my car in and have them replace it instead of lubricating the int. shaft.

just want to clearify, would my car still be under warranty. its an 07 g6 gtp, 3.6. bought it from a dealership used, it was a rental car prior to when i bought it. I still have warranty for the car too.
post #25 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 AM

Warranty

Hey HoodHicka! I also bought my 06 G6 last June as an off rental with 32K. You should have warranty till 60K covering most except brakes which now at 58K , mine are pulsing. If you did not buy extended you can get it before 60K is up. Smart move to extend.
To all. They only replaced my steering shaft for the pop noise. Did they replace the steering rack to fix the rattle (sounds like a loose brake caliper)??
post #26 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Details of the service bulletin used on my car is:

Steering/Suspension - Knock/Clunk on Bumps/Turns Bulletin No.: 06-02-32-007B Date: May 21, 2007

TECHNICAL
Subject:

Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise - Lubricate Inner and Outer Steering Shaft, Reposition I-Shaft, Add Foam to Radiator Surge Tank Mounting Bracket and/or Replace Steering Gear, If Necessary)
post #27 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Hey Nixy! It seems like a few people are expierencing the same problem. and before i hit 60k i will extend the warranty. Right now my car is about to hit 37k miles.

nixy, what kind of condition was your car in when you bought it? mine was in really good condition, a couple of nicks here and there but generally pretty good. i was very satisfied with the buy.
post #28 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Got the same problem here.......will be to the dealer next week!
post #29 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 AM

06 GTP. I've been having this problem for a while. It's recently started to become more common. I'm gonna take it into the dealer tomorrow on my day off.
post #30 of 103 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Dealer replaced the intermediate shaft on my '07 GTP on Wednesday....problem solved.....for now......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in