Slight "pop" in front end on take-off - Page 7 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:05 PM

got the wobbles.

I installed the Eibach pro kit yesterday and had an alignment done this morning, but i noticed later today that the car wobbles pretty bad if i accelerate very hard. It was fine before the pro kit and it still rolls smooth and fine when im not on the gas. Can someone help? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Troy

I also have the same problem. Mechanic couldn't figure anything out

Work Done:
GTE Stage1, RAIZIN voltage stabilizer, CAI, 18" Driftz wheels wrapped in General G-Max, JET V-Force Plus, Magnaflow exhaust, Eagle Eyes w/ Notto HID conversion, VHT Nightshade taillights 10"JL Audio sub in ported box, CRABS, eibach springs.
[SIZE="3"][B]Near Future Work:, MPD Ram Air Hood, Window Tint, body kit, stealth paint job
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Whats up everyone. I just purchased my 08 G6 GT last week and Im noticing that slight clunk when turning the wheel and on take off. Its barely noticeable. Probably unnoticeable with the music/AC on (aside from feeling it in the steering wheel). Is this something that should be looked at/fixed asap or is it just a nuisance thats "inherent to the vehicle"? Also, with seeing how far this thread dates back with the issue, is it a re-call issue? If so, is it a fix regardless if you're in warrant or not?

Not too worried about since I bought a rather extensive warranty on it from the dealer I purchased it through minus a $100 deductible. Just always trying to save a buck or two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM

my 07 has amost 146,000 on it. Can anyone tell me the cost of intermediate shaft assembly replacement? Also, my car wen crazy tonight... Driving down the road. Computer went from 76% oil life to no life and change oil soon. Temp gauge went through the roof and check engine light is on. Any ideas? Does this car have alot of recalls?
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Slight "pop" in front end on take-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteG6AL View Post
my 07 has amost 146,000 on it. Can anyone tell me the cost of intermediate shaft assembly replacement? Also, my car wen crazy tonight... Driving down the road. Computer went from 76% oil life to no life and change oil soon. Temp gauge went through the roof and check engine light is on. Any ideas? Does this car have alot of recalls?
Hello whiteG6AL,

I apologize for the issues you're having with your G6. I would be glad to research your VIN to check to see if there are any recalls, special coverages or issues that may be related to what you're experiencing. Please PM me your name, last 8-digits of your VIN, and current mileage so I can check.

Also, unfortunately, I do not have dealership pricing for labor and parts. You would have to contact the dealership directly.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Louis)

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slim7777
Slight "pop" in front end on take-off

I bought my 2008 G6 3 weeks ago. The salesman said he had a mechanic look at it, and said it needs a new intermediary shaft. I checked at another dealer, and they agreed. The original design didn't have a grease seal on the sliding part of the shaft. The new design does, and eliminates the pop. He said you could grease it, but it'd be temporary. I haven't replaced it yet.
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM

There is a recall for this issue, its the lubrication in the steering column I believe. There are actually 4 different fixes for it, one is lubricate the others get more and more involved. I have the same in my 2007 G6, as it is not a safety issue ive left it alone, it does seem to go away for a while if I release the steering column lock, pull and push the steering wheel a couple of times and lock it back into place but it comes back after a day or so.

Last edited by praxos; 09-13-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to slim7777
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I disconnected the intermediary shaft from the steering wheel. I put lithium grease in the hole at the end of the shaft.(under the hood) I then cut a rubber piece, and stuffed it into the hole. Problem resolved so far...close to 6 months now.
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 PM

I also had a popping noise/thump in the front end when turning after a stop. They lubbed the i-shaft and issue went away. Hopefully it doesn't come back.
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 11:19 AM

My wifes cars started like that too! But the end result is your bushings on both lower control arms are wearing or completely worn out. You need to replace them as soon as you can. They are going to get worst and start eating the inside of the left front inside tire tread if you do not change it soon................TM
post #101 of 103 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Hello, Did you find out what the issue was? My car is having very similar issues. I was coding P0016 and P0017; knew it had something to do with my timing. Also, my check gas cap sensor would show up periodically. I changed the crankshaft sensor. Now, it slow starts (purrs once it starts though), knocks on acceleration (like yours), and my tachometer isn't working properly. I'm thoroughly confused...
post #102 of 103 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM

I'm a little nervous...I just bought an 08 this week, drove off the lot, discovered it has a brake light issue, fob didn't work (not battery), headlight went out, back door doesn't lock when using key fob, had to put a new sensor on wheel, have that annoying popping sound, and today tried the cruise with no luck! It sounds as if these might be common issues for the g6. I thought I had done some pretty good research from reviews, etc, but now realizing there are lots of issues. One of the guys are dealership seems frustrated at all the issues, but it's not like I broke the darn thing. I love driving it, it's fun. It's only got 62k on it, I did buy an extended aftermarket warranty, hopefully it will cover most of whats wrong if the dealer ends up telling me tough luck. I have an appointment on Monday to get the taillight situation fixed and the steering column fixed also under recall. Hoping I can get the cruise and popping noise fixed also. For those of you who had the intermediate shaft replaced, did that fix it long term? Thanks for your help, I'm hoping for some encouragement, I think the car is adorable and like the way it drives, just bummed, I feel like I bought a big problem...
post #103 of 103 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 PM

I had a 06 GTP and I have a 07 GT that both have that same popping noise described. It has bothered me but seeing how people have reported this going back many years I'll attribute it to an inherent flaw in the car.
Also, my 06 had 100k before I got rid of it, and my current has 130k, leaving it alone doesn't seemt to be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in