Pontiac G6 Forum banner

06 GTP- fuel smell

23K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  MyLittleRedCar 
#1 ·
I have an 06 GTP with ~25k miles on it. For the last 4k or so, I will get a fuel smell under the hood- sometimes VERY strong- like gives me a headache strong! It seems to have started on our way back from a drive to FL with it. I took it to the dealer once and the service manager just came out and looked at it and saw nothing (I've never seen a leak or anything either). He said it could be the purge solenoid venting, but it smells like raw fuel when it does it, not a light venting. He told me to leave the engine cover off and just check it from time to time. I've yet to see anything, but it is pretty darn strong at times.

Has anyone else encountered this? Maybe it's a common issue or something, but they said there is no TSB on it, so I figured I'd check here. Thanks.
Joe

#3 ·
Thanks, I'm aware of that. I have looked at everything and can't find it, yet there are times when driving it, you come to a stop and it smells like you are at a damn gas station or something :(. My wife won't drive it because it "smells" to drive, yet we see nothing and the service manager couldn't either. Just said it is probably the evap solenoid, which I have never smelled anything that strong from an evap solenoid.. I was curious if anyone else had experienced this and has had it resolved in the past, or if it was a common problem with the G6 or something to make diagnosing it easier. Thanks.
Joe

#5 ·
Any luck with your friend? I have been a mechanic basically my whole life and I have never encountered an "intermittent" fuel smell like this- it is strange. I was hoping I'd post here and get some "yup, same thing happened to me, it was...." type of replies. Even the dealer is stumped- they won't even bother making an appointment since they couldn't see anything when I brought it to them :(. Thanks again.

#10 ·
Gas Smell

I bought a used 08 g6 gt last week with 18k miles and I've noticed the intermittent fuel smell after shutting the car off as well. Its very powerful when exiting the vehicle was gonna take it to the dealer but not sure if that will accomplish anything after seeing the post of here. I would appreciate any suggestions about a solution, if anyone finds one. Feel free to drop me an email if you can. Thanks

#11 ·
I begin smelling gas about a year ago. Around the same time, it became difficult to put gas in my gas tank. I finally discovered that the neck to the gas tank was moving around. I took it to the dealership and they told me that it would cost a little over $500 to the a new fuel neck for the gast tank. I didn't have the money, so as time has progressed, the entire neck turns completely and damaged severly. I found out when I made an appointment this year that GM is having a recall on the 2007 G5 for a crack in the filler neck. I'm going to write to GM to let them know that they need to also recall the 2007 G6 for the same problem.

#16 ·
When it comes to getting work done at a shop I try and go for small business/prvately owned shops. They care more about service in the hopes of repeat business and referrals. I'd recommend calling around and see what you can find. Many have deals with auto parts stores to get parts at cost and have a lower labor rate.

#19 ·
Just got back from the service center.. new pump from amazon $270. labor $160 .. had to pull the tank out of my G6 GT convertible, replace the pump because the elbow coming out of the fuel pump was cracked and pumping fuel over the top of the tank..this is a common problem and should be reported to the NTSB safercare.com ..

#20 ·
Had the gas neck replaced December 2012. I smelled gas every once in a while during the year after about six months. In September 2015, started smelling gas a lot more and then I guess I became immune to the smell inside of the car. December 2016 - could visually see a leak from right rear wheel area. Mechanic informed me that someone had apparently dropped the gas tank before without disconnecting the fuel pump cable from the car. Instead of replacing the cable, they pushed it back in the hole and consequently, the cable began to loosen and the gasoline began to leak from the tank. December 14th, the power steering warning message appeared. In January 2016, the engine light came on dash. Had it tested and it came back with PO442 error code and I was told that the computer indicated that it was either the gas cap or the gas neck! I replaced the gas cap and it's still on to date. I guess I'm back to the beginning of this paragraph!

#22 ·
fuel pump has a crack in the plastic elbow that comes out of the pump.. (all the searches I have done lead to this) you should report this to safercar.com NTSB I got the pump replaced purchased it from amazon and paid a mechanic $160 to install it. the elbow on the pump is black plastic molded into a white housing during that particular manufacturing date the got the black plastic too hot and caused it to have bubbles which made it weak causing it to crack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.