Catalytic converter issue - Pontiac G6 Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Catalytic converter issue

My 2006 G6 with a 2.4 engine had a catalytic converter issue. The catalytic converter internal melted & causes a 7.5 psi back pressure on the exhaust system. This caused the engine to loose power & use a large amount of fuel.

A new catalytic converter was fitted by the dealer. The service manager reported that my car was the 7th G6 that required a new catalytic converter. All units had melted & plugged up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 06:36 AM

Bad cat?

my engine light is on and has been for a little while now. Thought it was the 02 sensor. However, just recently I've notice a slight loss of power. The mpg is still ok but, while climbing a grade, I stomped on the accelerator and the rpms went up as it downshifted, but it was like a clutch was slipping. I gained very little speed, so I let off on the accelerator and the engine light started to flash. I thought the fuel contributing to the problem cause a got a pinging noise too. I use 87 octane. My car has over 80k, so it is out of warranty. I commute 120 miles day. Anyway, the car feels like the cat might be the problem. So, did you say the dealer replaced yours at no additional cost? I can't afford buying a car every two to three years. I'm not sure I can afford a new cat. From what I have read, the defective cat seems to causing a lot of problems.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Inspector2
Sounds like you are having the some problems as me with the catalylic converter
Your symptoms are the same as mine when I first noticed the problem. Eventually, your engine service light will stay on & there will be a number of cylinder miss-fires.

Re the Service Manager - He did not commit to state there was a recall on this item. I believe the issue is GM is waiting to see how many cars have this problem before a recall is implemented.
However, you could use the fact that a number of people are having problems with the cat convertor.
There was no charge to have my cat converter replaced.

For your info, the cat convertor is covered by a separate warranty, under the "specified emmissions control warranty" which is for 8 years 130,000 kms

Last edited by Martinacan; 10-28-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinacan View Post
Inspector2
Sounds like you are having the some problems as me with the catalylic converter
Your symptoms are the same as mine when I first noticed the problem. Eventually, your engine service light will stay on & there will be a number of cylinder miss-fires.

Re the Service Manager - He did not commit to state there was a recall on this item. I believe the issue is GM is waiting to see how many cars have this problem before a recall is implemented.
However, you could use the fact that a number of people are having problems with the cat convertor.
There was no charge to have my cat converter replaced.

For your info, the cat convertor is covered by a separate warranty, under the "specified emmissions control warranty" which is for 8 years 130,000 kms
Wow, thanks for the info. did not know about the emissions warranty. I was going to surf the net, regarding recalls to see if there was any mention about it. Thanks again
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM

mine also had that problem
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 AM

at the dealer

Barely made it home last night. Took the car to the dealership. Service dude said it sounds like the cat. I'll find out later today. He also mentioned that I was not alone. GM should recall. Accepting the embarassment today, is better than loosing future customers. I'm having doubts about domestic cars again. I have been faithful so far but, being stranded on the roadside is no fun.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Red face Sorry to hear about your problems

Hi Inspector2
Sorry to hear about you being stranded
However - at least the repair should be free since the part is still under warranty.
GM is not the only car manufacturer with problems with the cats. Ever since the cats were move closer to the exhaust manifold by various manufactures, the cat internals have been melting.

So - you may not be better off with an import
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Well, the G6 should be ready today. It has spent three days in the shop. The part was out of stock. Which means not enough inventory because either they do not have enough of a need or they used up what they had.....I believe the latter. Though, there is no cost for the repair,(thank God), I still had to find alternate ways to get to work. That was not real easy. I have a part time job that I could not go to because, i car pooled with a friend at my full time job. Thanks for all the input. This forum is great. Funny how we find friends / comrades by way of misfortunes (at least in my case). Thanks again
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 AM

06" G6 4 cyl. all good

Ok....my baby runs great now. I warn anybody that has not yet reached the 80k point to have the cat checked, replaced,... whatever. I said before, GM should replace these defective cats, regardless of mileage. They also did a software/firmware update, per recall. My clock and other e-gadgets were acting weird. I hope that this will fix it. Funny thing though, I never received any recall notices on the software thing. I like my car again. Thanks forum members for all your input.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM

my cat also needs replacing for my g6. guess you can count that as four on this list.......

and thanks to martinacan for all the useful info
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Is that emissions warranty for every newer car? for every G6? no matter what warranty you may have chosen?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcorleone View Post
Is that emissions warranty for every newer car? for every G6? no matter what warranty you may have chosen?
Yes - for all G6 cars. Check your warranty book. The emissions warranty is listed in the book.
Actually - all cars have this warranty. The distance/time values are slightly different but are close.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 PM

other then ca. emissions car(ny and others use it)
emissions warrenty is 8yr, or 80k
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM

great to know about that warranty. thanks guys.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM

cat converter

if my cat is bad where online can i buy one oem for the g6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in