Potential new owner, what are the problems to look for? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Potential new owner, what are the problems to look for?

Hey guys, I'm looking at trading the Silverado in on a G6 since we have another baby on the way ~ 2 car seats don't work so well in a truck. I will be buying the G6 through my uncle at the Flint Auto Auction and need to know what to look out for when it comes to major/minor problems.

GM is getting better over the last few years but we all know they still have thier problems and I'm sure the G6 is not immune to them.

Do the V6 sedans really get 29-31mpg on the highway? What about the sedans with the 2.4 liter?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 01:07 PM

There are a few minor annoyances like noise, but over all the car has been a great car. Yes the car does get good gas mileage, the most i have gotten i believe was 34 mpg, but that was all highway from fill up to fill up. My advice would be to make sure that the panoramic sunroof, if it has one, operates without any problems, and seals properly, also to make sure that there are no major problems with the suspension, particulary with the rack and pinion.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Even if it has a standard sunroof, make sure there's no wind noise there either. I have to keep my shade closed because the noise drives me crazy!!

There's things to look out for certainly, but how many will show up in a test drive is another story.

You will see a ton of steering lockup issues here, hopefully that problem is fixed now on newer models, but it was really bad at first. You will also notice a common thread with people having pop's at low speed from their steering columns. It's nothing to worry about usually, just can be annoying.

However, what I wanted to say, since I saw that you had mentioned car seats, was to make sure you look at the rear seats. While the seat room seems to be about the same as my Grand Am GT was, the seats flair out a bit on the two ends. Thus, I was disappointed when I tried to fit in some car seats so that it would buckle right. The seat, especially once it's just a booster seat, ends up at an angle slightly. Anyway, just make sure that your seats will fit ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 PM

i have a 05 G6 V6 and it doesn't get anywhere close to 28mpg ... i freakin wish ... the highest i've gotten was 24mpg in the summer and 20mpg in the winter ... probably half highway half city miles ...

with the gas prices now i'd definately get a 2.4 litre ... strong enough and gets pretty good gas mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in