won't start from the remote - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

won't start from the remote

i have a 2005 pontiac G6 base (55000 miles no warranty) with the remote start feature ... i've had it for almost a year and while having it i came across one issue ... sometimes when i tried to start the car from the remote it wouldn't start ... it would just flash the lights ... or it would start and stall the second after it started ... it didn't happen too often (may be once a month) so it didn't bother me as much ... for the past 3 weeks i couldn't start the car with the remote start at all ... every time i go to start it it just flashes the lights ... i tried to get a new battery in the remote today and it didn't help ... no difference ... still flashing lights ... everything in the car works fine except for that remote start thing ...

has anyone had that problem because i'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to have them check it out ... any responce would be greatly appreciated ... thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 AM

I would definitely take it to the dealer, sounds like a computer problem, There might be an update to this problem that i am not aware of.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM

If your check engine lights is on the Remote start is disabled in the computer. Make sure your check engine light is not on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygon View Post
i have a 2005 pontiac G6 base (55000 miles no warranty) with the remote start feature ... i've had it for almost a year and while having it i came across one issue ... sometimes when i tried to start the car from the remote it wouldn't start ... it would just flash the lights ... or it would start and stall the second after it started ... it didn't happen too often (may be once a month) so it didn't bother me as much ... for the past 3 weeks i couldn't start the car with the remote start at all ... every time i go to start it it just flashes the lights ... i tried to get a new battery in the remote today and it didn't help ... no difference ... still flashing lights ... everything in the car works fine except for that remote start thing ...

has anyone had that problem because i'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to have them check it out ... any responce would be greatly appreciated ... thank you
I have not had the problem with the remote not starting but in my 06 I have had the problem with the starter staying engaged when I start the car normally. I have had it to the dealer 2x and they sy they can not duplicate the problem.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 PM

I also have a problem with my starter staying engaged from time to time, very frustrating. The dealer also told me they couldn't duplicate the problem, they didn't bother to call me back so I ended up paying for a rental car a second day. Now the warranty is up and it still does it every now and then.

I just noticed my remote starter was not working, it flashes the lights just doesn't start. Tried both fobs. Please let us know if you find a solution.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

the solution with mine was that it needed a new hood latch. there's a sensor in the hood latch that tells that computer if it's open or closed. on mine it went bad and the car thought the hood was open all the time and as a GM car with the security on it it wouldn't start.

so bottom line is the car thought the hood was open and wouldn't start cuz it thought that somebody was trying to steal it. I paid about 200$ to get it fixed.

i got a new latch and they had to adapt it to the body control module.

hope this helps
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Part number?

Anybody know how I can find a GM part number for the hood latch?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Smile Solved

The hood latch was the problem with my car. I purchased one from GMPartsDirect (part #20763654 for my '06 V6 Base sedan) cost with shipping $58.51. It didn't work right away, apparently the module (?) needs to be cleared as mentioned in a previous post. So I tried disconnecting the battery waiting 30 seconds then re-connected it. Voila! It started right up.

Total time spent about 35 min. a 1/4 drive ratchet with 10mm socket would have sped it up considerably, it's easily seen but a little tight in there with an open end wrench. Remember to mark the location of the original latch before attempting to remove it so you can line up the replacement.

I'm so happy I don't have to take it to the shop.

Thank you Daygon and previous posters for heading me in the right direction.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
The hood latch was the problem with my car. I purchased one from GMPartsDirect (part #20763654 for my '06 V6 Base sedan) cost with shipping $58.51. It didn't work right away, apparently the module (?) needs to be cleared as mentioned in a previous post. So I tried disconnecting the battery waiting 30 seconds then re-connected it. Voila! It started right up.

Total time spent about 35 min. a 1/4 drive ratchet with 10mm socket would have sped it up considerably, it's easily seen but a little tight in there with an open end wrench. Remember to mark the location of the original latch before attempting to remove it so you can line up the replacement.

I'm so happy I don't have to take it to the shop.

Thank you Daygon and previous posters for heading me in the right direction.
glad to be of assistance

i wish i figured that before i had taken it to the dealer and paid extra ... oh well ... we all learn from mistakes
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:54 PM

My girlfriends 05 GT is having the same problem. Remote start just flashes the lights.

I suspected it was the hood latch as well.
She bought it used 1/19/2009 as certified GM Pre-owned. Anyone know if this will be covered under the GM Certified warranty?

/ancker
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM

I was not receiving any codes but had issues with cruise, power locks and remote start. It was imtermittent problem that made it hard to diagnose. Check to make sure everything else is working properly. I discovered that the auto door locks didn't lock when I moved the shifter into drive and didn't open when moved back to park. The cruise did not work, the remote start wouldn't work and the transmission did not shift smoothly. After 3 trips to the dealer they found a (TSB) technical service bulletin that told them to reflash the (ECM) computer. Dealer completed this last week and issue was resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in