General perfomance questions.. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

General perfomance questions..

Hey guys. I just traded in my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for a 2006 G6 GTP Coupe. For the most part, it's a nice car, and they've done a lot to polish up the Pontiac brand. Question for you G6 pros out there-

I've noticed that the G6 seems way sluggish ( I own one in a manual transmission) compared to my old Grand Prix. I realize I'm giving up the supercharger, but otherwise, it's almost an identical engine, from the 3.8 to the 3.9. The car feels downright slow. Is it just me, or do a lot of G6 owners feel the same way? I've read that the factory intakes are total performance robbers, and the engines aren't tuned well out of factory, but what kinds of advice do you all have for improving the performance? I've been pretty unimpressed with the engine performance, but love the car otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 AM

IMO, the G6 is way faster then any of the competitors cars in the same class. I've always been happy with the power/torque.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWM777 View Post
Hey guys. I just traded in my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for a 2006 G6 GTP Coupe. For the most part, it's a nice car, and they've done a lot to polish up the Pontiac brand. Question for you G6 pros out there-

I've noticed that the G6 seems way sluggish ( I own one in a manual transmisst the factory intakes are total performance robbers, and the engines aren't tuned well out of factory, but what kinds of advice do you all have for improving the performance? I've been pretty unimpressed with the engine performance, but love the car otherwise.
They do feel very sluggish! Yes the engines put out around the same power, but you also have alot more weight in the G6. Unlike your L67 in the grand prix, you just can't drop a pulley size to add power I can't find one after market engine part for the G6's. Till more parts start showing up, about all you can do is find someone good to tune it, get rid of the stock intake, and put a better flowing exhaust on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
IMO, the G6 is way faster then any of the competitors cars in the same class. I've always been happy with the power/torque.
I have a base V6 which can beat most 4-cylinders no problem. But if I come across another competitor's V6, I haven't manage to beat one yet. So for the base V6 G6, it's near the bottom of the pack. I think the only G6 that has some serious muscle are the GTPs and the GXPs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to siflawless
i have a base G6 as well and it alot faster the most of the 4cylinder engines out there and it takes off faster. but me and my boys worked on the car and and you can get alot more hp out of the car then you get when it come off the lott. i changed the car chip and i changed the intake and the combination of both added about 40-50 more hp. also if u dont have one i suggest you buy a spoiler as well so that the car moves better at faster speeds. the factory spoiler will do. try those changes and you will see and hear a big improvement in your engine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to siflawless
also i forgot try changing your spark plugs and getting purge plugs they give your car alot more power then spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in