Brake vibrations - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
New Owner

Brake vibrations

Just got an '05 G6 V6. High mileage, over 90,000. I'm starting to get vibrations in the brake pedal, are my rotor's warped?

Thanks,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Lifetime Member

I think so. I'm having that prob w/ another car. I feel it more when my speed is slower. I plan to replace the rotars with new and go with ceramic pads. The ceramic pads do not produce as much black brake dust.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
New Owner

Thanks for the brake pad suggestion, on my old truck I'd have dust just a few hours after washing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

Yes, your rotors are warped, it's a common thing for the G6. You can either have them resurfaced (they will last you about a year before they start warping again) or replace them with some aftermarket rotors. Preferably drilled or slotted to reduce temp build up.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Lifetime Member

I thought you were MIA Fusion.

Mike
MODS;
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Nope, i only get on here at work, and i called in this last friday!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
CrAzY Moderator

yup yup there warped i just replaced mine. But i still had the warranty so they turn them for free you just have to buy the brake pads and if the rotors are warped bad like mine were they replace them free of cost (only if you have warranty) Caution: if you have warranty make sure you go to a GM dealer Pontiac will not refund you any money that you spent somewhere else because that dealer was closed on the weekends lol my friend did it and cost him like 300 just for the fronts so watch out for that. and you can usally tell that your brakes are warped if your stearing wheel shakes when your braking thats the front brakes that are bad.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 PM

When my car was still under warranty, my GM dealership would not honor the warranty for the warped rotors, so i went to a local firestone shop, replaced my breaks, and they turned my rotors for free. When the rotors start warping again, i replace them at that time.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
CrAzY Moderator

well im sorry dude ya some places wont do that but i know a couple people up there at the GM dealer so ya i mean there are some other places that do it you just have to know someone or make sure there cool enough to change the brakes that way
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM

before i moved to Texas, i had a GM shop in Cali that would take care of me, just because i was there all the time. They would cover stuff under warranty even when i expected to pay for it, so needless to say, i've been really disappointed with the GM shops here in north texas.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
CrAzY Moderator

ya well i will hit the 36,000 mile mark next week when i drive home so there goes my warranty lol
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 AM

My 03 Impala warped at 30,000 miles...my G6 is warped, but not too bad at 17,000 miles. GM puts very cheap rotors on their vehicles. I switched my Impala to Wagner rotors and pads and they were good for about 60,000 miles without any trouble.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM

okay so my 07 G6 is making vibration, i got them resurfaced, and it was fine for a while.. and the vibrations started again, and so I went to the dealer and the apparently "greased" something.. and the noise was gone.. so now.. the vibrations are back. What I wanted to know is if i put better rotors , would the vibrations come back??
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz99 View Post
What I wanted to know is if i put better rotors , would the vibrations come back??
Probably not. I'm having the same issue with the rotors on my Mazda. I plan to put some better quality ones on this coming weekend.

Mike
MODS;
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
CrAzY Moderator

is the vibrations in your steering wheel if so you need to replace them. which ones you buy is up to you. buy quality if you dont want them warping so quickly cause pontiac does not do that for you. and not only that hoping that when you do or if you do speed that right after your not washing your car for the simple fact the rotors are hot and your putting cold water on them makes them warp faster over time also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in