Random Engine shake while idleing - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Random Engine shake while idleing

I have a 2008 G6 GT coupe, with only 1400 miles on it.. After a couple days after the car was bought, at idle the engine randomly hiccups or shakes a little bit every 10 seconds or so. I have owned plenty of brand new cars and I have never encountered this. The engine is usually smooth and hiccup free. Is this a characteristic of the 3.5L or the G6? I really dont want to bother dealing with the damn dealers if this is a normal thing and I'm just being picky. One of those things, take your three day old car in for a leak in the seatbelt pillar and they have it for four days. Not the greatest time, but thats all fixed. haha. Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Doesn't seem normal to me, we have 37,000 on an 07 and it idles smoothly.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM

For the first year, if i put it in neutral, it would idle normal, rev up a little bit, and then go back down. It would rarely go above 1k, and it only did it ever once in a while. It has since stopped doing that, thankfully.

Check out my 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic G6 GT at CarDomain.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM

mine does that all that time and all the G6 that i've seen did that
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM

My new '08 GT coupe has done this as well, now that I've had it a week.

Not every time, but seemingly every other time or every few times, it's essentially misfiring (or seems to be). Noticed it more in the first few days than now, but still weird and happens. There appears to be a TSB out for this, but I have no idea what it entails if anything.

Service Bulletin Number: PIP4363
Summary: ROUGH ENGINE IDLE, MISFIRE (DTC P0300) OR NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT. *NJ

Odd. One day I noticed it more than others and it continued to give an extra little shake during cruise (of course) as well.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Mine also has the rough idle quite often on my 3.5 V6. Yes it seems the engine is misfiring or missing. Most other G6s I have seen have very smooth idles but a few did not. I am going to take it to the dealer to have them check it out along with a few other things.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Lifetime Member

I think some of you might believe I'm crazy but have you tried using 93 octane? I normally use 1 tank of 87 and two tanks of 93. Our G6 runs so smoothly its hard to tell its even running. (just a shot in the dark) I hate to hear of you guys having this problem when our 6 runs so nice.

You other members without this problem, what type of fuel do you use?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

As much as I would love to give my baby that nice fuel, I may have to go without eating that day haha. I know this is not suppose to happen. Has anyone taken their G6 to the dealer yet who has had this problem? I am planning on going as soon as I have the time to sit in the dealership for an hour or so before they tell me whats wrong (if any). I'm loving the feedback! Keep it going!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 AM

If there is a TSB, I would bring it to the dealer. They might just need to update a program.

I've only used 87 octane and never had the engine shake the car. We shouldn't need premium fuel for this car. Sometimes I would mix in a little premium on really cold days, but that's all. Is the engine stalling? Is misfire and engine knock the same thing?

2006 Pontiac G6 GT (3.5L V6)
2003 Chevrolet Impala LS (3.8L V6)
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (5.7L V8)
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdstudebaker View Post
As much as I would love to give my baby that nice fuel, I may have to go without eating that day haha. I know this is not suppose to happen. Has anyone taken their G6 to the dealer yet who has had this problem? I am planning on going as soon as I have the time to sit in the dealership for an hour or so before they tell me whats wrong (if any). I'm loving the feedback! Keep it going!
No, and oddly mine seems to have mostly gone away after a week, but still a slight shake at times.

It's going in Wednesday for the roof that's clunking and creaking away with a couple hundred miles, and I'll probably mention this too.

'08 G6 GT Coupe
White Diamond Tri-Coat, Light Taupe cloth, Sun & Sound Package, Floor Mats, 18" Alloy Wheels & Stabilitrak, Trunk Net, Remote Start
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
G6 Fun-Fan

I have taken my G6 to a dealer, and I've been having the same issue. I've been told that this is not a problem. I was told that my car is in top condition and there is nothing to worry about. I wish they would have had a reason for me, but... no dice. Hope this helps!
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchogaard View Post
I have taken my G6 to a dealer, and I've been having the same issue. I've been told that this is not a problem. I was told that my car is in top condition and there is nothing to worry about. I wish they would have had a reason for me, but... no dice. Hope this helps!
I have a feeling that's what I'll be told, too, if I mention it. "Well, about every few times, it has this slight shake like it's missing" and they'll not be able to replicate it, and say nada.

It has gotten much less apparent or present after a week+ of having the car, in my case, so weird. I'm more curious--as it seems common--what the possible TSB might say.

'08 G6 GT Coupe
White Diamond Tri-Coat, Light Taupe cloth, Sun & Sound Package, Floor Mats, 18" Alloy Wheels & Stabilitrak, Trunk Net, Remote Start
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 12:26 PM

mine rough idles every now and then also. Not too bad where its misfiring but def. a lil hiccup here and there
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdallas View Post
mine rough idles every now and then also. Not too bad where its misfiring but def. a lil hiccup here and there
Sounds kinda like my week old one.

That said, I had mine in today for a sunroof issue, and just forgot to mention the rough running. It has to go back again, maybe tomorrow if they can anyway, so may still mention it.

'08 G6 GT Coupe
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM

Mine does this too... It sometimes feels rough, big bumps, small bumps, and it sucks when you have no music playing and you at stop feeling this rumble

2006 G6 V6 Base
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in