Just bought an 06 G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Just bought an 06 G6 - Noise at high RPM

I had just purchased a used 2006 Pontiac G6 4 Cyl with 47k milles on it. My previous vehicle was a 1995 Buick Century 3.1 V6 Clunker. I was eager to see how fast I could get my "new" car to go and it was much quicker and agile than the buick. One phenomenon I encountered however was that as my rpms neared the red, I heard a squeeling sound from the engine. I let off the gas to make it stop as soon as I heard this noise. Q#1 Is that what people call the governor keeping me from blowing the engine? I have not experienced any issues with the vehicle other than the suddle knocking noise of the steering wheel.

Q#2 Also, are there any compatable and non-stock hub caps I can get? Mine are all scratched from the previous owner. Also, I noticed some drip pattered peeling of the paint on the exterior (after I bought it of course). It looks like it ate off the last coat and left the color intact. Q#3 Is there a quick fix can get to fill that up and make it look brand new? It looks like an acid of some sort was sprinkled hot-dog style down the body. (I hope its the reason they traded the car in)

Other than that, I am very pleased with the car. The dash looks slick, Interior looks good with some shiny armor-all rubbed on it vigorously, the factory sound is delicious to my ears (still going to put a couple subs in to get the ladies shaking), and the poo-c magetivity is much higher in this car than my last. Also, the small engine gets better mpg altho I would like more horsepower and/or more gears (which I would get in a V6 or better). Even tho, I can barely tell when I am going over the speed limit so I'm going to have to pay attention to the road more. My old car felt like I was going to break the sound barrier when I neared 70mph.

Heh, let me tell you what happened to that car...
I was going down HWY 13 going 55mph taking a left turn when something broke on my right front tire. I was unable to turn left and was going straight into a sign. I hit the sign- god rest its soul- and it hit the edge of the windshield and roof, making the glass spider and shed glass bits all around. I was soon cruising off-road mowing down weeds about 6 ft tall goings over hills. I felt like I was in the dukes of hazzard or something for a minute. eventually I saw road and I used the momentum I had to get back on pavement. I was a little bit startled, but after everything I couldn't help but laugh at how fun that was. Good thing I wasn't hurt.

Last edited by elguat; 07-23-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Lifetime Member

Welcome to the G6 Club!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 AM

LOL, great story about your accident. Would have loved to see a video of it! LOL....
As for your first question, the squeeling at high rpms is pretty normal, you can take it in and have the dealership adjust your belt tensioner, and it should go away.
I don't have any answers for #2 or #3, so good luck on those two, and welcome to the club!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I guess thoes acid marks were just water marks... very stubborn water marks... last time I pay 8 bucks for a "gold" car wash... I will take it in to the dealership and have them do that tensioner some good.

Last edited by elguat; 07-24-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: The devil made me do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in