sun visors! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy sun visors!

Okay, I know there was a recall on the 06 G6's... I have a 2006 G6 GT and I got my visor replaced sometime last year. The recall letter (from what I saw on the recall thread on here) says that GM was working on improving the part and after that was figured out, more information would be sent out on replacing the product. Well, anyway, mine was replaced and again it has broken.

It's an issue of the visor mirror 'door' getting stuck/feeling stuck/not opening smoothly and eventually it pops and breaks. It doesn't break off and it will still open... but say it's supposed to open to a 90 degree angle, thus fully exposing the mirror and activating the vanity light... instead it opens somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees thus not allowing me to use the mirror unless I hold the door up and also, holding the door up is the only way the light will activate.

Does anyone else have this problem? The dealership said it could not be replaced again. I just find it highly stupid that it would have been replaced with the exact same item. If nobody else has this problem after the recall, then I'm wondering if I was given a wrong visor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM

I never did get my visors replaced. Received a letter stating that they would give more info when they had a solution and never heard anything more (did anyone get a letter stating that they had a solution?).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

I never got either of the letters, but I know what you're talking about from seeing the initial radio on here. I had my car in the shop for something else (they had messed up the headliner and were replacing it)... and that day or a couple days later, my visor was broken. They looked in the system and said it had never been replaced.

If you got the letter initially, then all you have to do now is go to the dealership for them to order your replacement(s).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM

They replaced mine (under warranty) and about a week later (out of warranty) they were both broken again, any idea how much it costs to have them replaced?

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (4D)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, the dealership did end up replacing mine again... so maybe you can do that. Otherwise, through the dealership, they cost about $50. You can also look on ebay for cheaper/used ones.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 AM

mine too

Yep, had to replace both driver and passenger visor/mirrors. The dealer said that if the mirror lid is opened and shut by flipping up the visor, that would lead to premature breakage. My feeling is that it is, poor engineering and/or cheap inferior plastic. Warranty covered it. But, had to take the day off from work, shuttle to and from home..blah, blah,blah. Kind of a hassle but, the mirrors are replaced.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 AM

Part Number

Does anyone have the part number for the Sun Visors? There is a web site http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ that sells GM parts for a good price. This might be a good way to get these pieces new. I got a set of replacement speakers for my 03 Grand AM from this site and they were OEM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

I have the same problem but I dont understand why we should ever have to pay to fix this SAME problem. Im on my third broken visor on passenger side, and my wife has always been careful when opening it. Lets face it, its a lemon! They should have to replace it with a working visor. UGH!! I have never had this many problems with a car till I got my G6.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM

My drivers side mirror is broken also. I don't know if it was ever replaced under the recall. What else will go wrong? So far I've replaced the intermediate steering shaft, front brakes and I've only owned this car for 3 weeks (06 GT). Oh, and I had to re-dye the drives seat bolster.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Found this on ALLDATA:

Bulletin No.: 05094A

Date: March 03, 2006

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

Subject:
05094A - SUN VISOR MIRROR COVER NONFUNCTIONAL/BREAKAGE

Models:
2005-2006 CHEVROLET MALIBU, MALIBU MAXX
2006 PONTIAC G6

Supercede:

THE LABOR TIME IN THIS BULLETIN HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 05094 ISSUED DECEMBER 2005.

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2006

Condition

On some 2005-2006 Chevrolet Malibu and Malibu Maxx, and 2006 Pontiac G6 vehicles, customers have reported that the sun visor mirror cover hinge has separated from the mirror.

Correction

To prevent this inconvenience, dealers are to replace the driver and passenger mirror and cover assemblies.

Vehicles Involved
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 AM

Well, the visor mirror door thingy broke again. I am out of warranty and my local dealer shut down. I do not want to loose faith in American made cars because, I'm sure foreign cars have their share of poorly engineered items too. However, I would of liked to of seen better efforts on correcting such a defect. I am also a victim of premature cat. converter failure. I guess the other way to look at it is, you get what you pay for. I will contact another dealer, that is hopefully still in business to see if the GM is willing to replace it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 AM

I never recieved any recall and mine broke sometime ago..I have an extended so called protection and the dealer told me it was a trim part and wasn't covered..I wrote GM protection plan and they are calling me back today
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
-Banned-

The previous owner had this problem addressed under warranty on my car.

Who uses sun visors? It's all about the tint.

^ get 5% all around, and never worry about the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in