Shifter Locking in Park - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Shifter Locking in Park

From time to time, my shifter will not release from park into drive/reverse unless I stomp the brake ALL THE WAY to the floor (which in turn causes my break lights to jam). It lasts through a few starts and then will go back to normal break pressure release.

Has anyone experienced this??? If so what was the problem? I have noticed vibrations when breaking lately which I assume are my rotors warping...would this be a possible cause of the lockups? Or is it an electrical issue?

Its becoming a concern because it has been happening more frequently and my '06/53k mi was purchased used and is no longer under warranty.

BTW- I am new to the sight and am very pleased to find out that Advanced Auto Parts carries moderately priced wiper blade replacements. Auto Zone instructed me to go to the dealer and Wal Mart was clueless. Could not believe the price of the blades at the dealer. Glad I checked the sight prior to purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:41 PM

I have that same problem to and was wondering if anyone could help me on it. I took it to a deal and they sadi since they cant replicate the probelm they couldnt fix it. I notice when I turn on my car then i press on the brake and sometimes when the brake seems gharder to push on the gear shit locks up and i cant press the button into shift. Is there a way to fix that or when it happens something i can try? i have an '07 G6
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
its been talked about and I think its the brake light switch....search around youll definitly find some info. other symptoms are brake lights stay on and cruise control doesnt always work

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Garage
any other issues?....such as cruise not working or brake lamps illuminating when the brakes aren't in use?

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 PM

I hope it is OK to link to another car forum from here, but this probably explains your issue and the solution is pretty simple.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=3072

A small tube of dielectric grease is probably all you need. Brush some on your C2 connecter (google has images for locating it). I tried scouring but couldnt find the actual GM notice I once had for this. Anyways, I was having this issue with not being able to shift out of park, and my brake lights coming on without touching the break, and this solved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in