Wipers broke!!! uhgggg - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Wipers broke!!! uhgggg

my wife got up this morning to start her 05 g6 and it was a little frosty on the windshield. She turned them on and nothing happend so she figured wiper frose. They werent and still wouldnt work. I told her to not use them untill car was hot. Still no go. I looked at it tonight and the motor is running so i took the whole assembly out and found that there are ball joint like things that attach the motor to the assembly. The rod has a plastic insert in in that goes over metal ball joint on gear box to motor. It was broken and wouldnt stay on. Does anyone know where I can get the assembly rod or maybe you just change the insert out. I even thought of just drilling it out and putting a bolt in it to hold it together. Would last longer than that stupic ball joint set up. Let me know what you all think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Can you snap a picture of what your talking about?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

ok i figured out what its called and had to order it from dealer. its the wiper transmission and you have to buy the whole assembly. not just the linkage i need. Now can anyone tell me how to get the wiper arms off. I pried and pried on them and no luck. i removed the retaining nut. Im thinking of trying a small gear puller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 AM

lol....I tried to take mine off to powdercoat them cause they are starting to look like crap but I couldnt get them off either. let me know if you figure that part out.

MODS:

My Progession
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
lol....I tried to take mine off to powdercoat them cause they are starting to look like crap but I couldnt get them off either. let me know if you figure that part out.
they are a since to get off with a gear puller. I used a 3" gear puller i beleive. they popped right off. they make a tool to get them off which is called a wiper arm removal tool, but it cost like 30 dollars and all it is is a small gear puller. I hope this helps. I got it fixed.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 06:49 AM

Do you have to hammer them back on once you gear pull them??

MODS:

My Progession
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Same problem just happened to me... '06, 62k. Took it in and they showed me a diagram of the part. The guy explained to me that the plastic joint was worn. Then explained that the whole assembly needs to be purchased. Quote including labor, parts, diagnostic: $268. Wish I had the ability to do it myself as I priced the part online and it ranges between $35-$55
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Its insane how much you save with a little elbow grease i have an 05 60k im sure mine will go out soon to LOL

If your bored maybe ad a How-To in the appropriate section or even part number#
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 PM

uhgggg!!!

Same exact thing happened to me tonight. A little frost on the windshield, turned on the wipers and POP whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Not looking forward to fixing this in the morning. I wonder if ADVANCE Auto parts will pull the wipers for me for free?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM

ughh same thing happen to me took it all apart and that little plastic part that slips over the ball joint on the wiper motor was worn to the point where i would put it on and it would pop right back off. So where did you guys get the replacement part? did you get the whole assembly from GM? Really bugging me that i would need to buy the whole assembly for one little worn plastic part!

Last edited by Jord530; 02-17-2010 at 06:43 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 PM

That is the wiper assembly. I guess i need to buy all of the Transmission (number 8, in picture) It cost $73.65. Seems like a lot for a piece of plastic!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You don't need a gear puller. It's spring tensioned so if you keep working at it by pushing down on the arm where it first bends and lifting up where you just took the nut off while jiggling a bit, it will eventually come off.

Quote:
Do you have to hammer them back on once you gear pull them??
No need to hammer them back on - They go back on pretty easy as long as you have them lined up the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord530 View Post
ughh same thing happen to me took it all apart and that little plastic part that slips over the ball joint on the wiper motor was worn to the point where i would put it on and it would pop right back off. So where did you guys get the replacement part? did you get the whole assembly from GM? Really bugging me that i would need to buy the whole assembly for one little worn plastic part!
I bought a whole wiper transmission assembly at a local junkyard (http://www.benwoodautoparts.com/) with a 6 month warranty for $35.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord530 View Post
That is the wiper assembly. I guess i need to buy all of the Transmission (number 8, in picture) It cost $73.65. Seems like a lot for a piece of plastic!
Yes, number 8 in the photo you posted should be all you need.

This really wasn't a huge job to do by myself. The biggest part was figuring out how to get the wiper arms off once I took the nuts off.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM

Wipers went out!!

So, here I am, driving to work in this wonderful T-Storm on Interstate 64, and what happens...the wipers go out. I nearly caused a 50-car pileup because of my lack-o-vision so now I am wondering if it is easy to fix myself or how much it would cost to fix this on my 05' G6. I hear the motor running but no movement...seems like the arms have detached or something. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:29 AM

I have an 05, 70k, and it just happened to me yesterday...during a T-storm...on the Interstate...I nearly caused a 50 car pileup! So, if you know someone who knows how to install them then I would just take $50 and buy a new one and install it. Trust me, it is a pretty frighting experience going 70mph during a bad storm and your wipers go out.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyweiser View Post
I have an 05, 70k, and it just happened to me yesterday...during a T-storm...on the Interstate...I nearly caused a 50 car pileup! So, if you know someone who knows how to install them then I would just take $50 and buy a new one and install it. Trust me, it is a pretty frighting experience going 70mph during a bad storm and your wipers go out.
Jonny, yes that is a scary thing to have happen. Glad you're ok.

Call your local junkyard and see if they have the part used, but with a warranty. If you have another vehicle to drive and can wait for the part you may want to try where I got my replacement. http://www.benwoodautoparts.com/

It's really not that difficult of a job to do once you get into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in