Knocking suspension or steering while driving - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Knocking suspension or steering while driving

I am experiencing a pretty loud knocking sound coming from the suspension while driving. It is not the engine or the rotors (they were replaced in Oct). The problem mainly occurs while coasting or when I reduce speed; and occasionally when turning. I know that it could be multiple issues; just wanting a place to start.

Anybody got any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM

first place to start as a dealer is I-shaft then closely followed by rack depending on mech. or elec. power steering
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Does the sound come more from the front end area or closer to the actual steering wheel?
The lubed my i-shaft and all that, but the noise constantly comes back. I recently had a knocking that wasn't from my brakes or rotors either and something just seemed loose or something... turned out to be my steering rack.
How bad were your brakes getting before you fixed 'em? I waited a little too long on mine, and it makes me wonder if some of the looseness/badness/knockiness from the brakes effected/loosened up the steering rack... or if both things just happened at the same time. Not that they are necessarily connected or ever really effected by one another, but the knocking was from the same area and it's hard to say when it started. Just curious. I even felt like I had better braking after my new steering rack, but I think it was because the steering rack was just getting that bad, ya know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgresh View Post
I am experiencing a pretty loud knocking sound coming from the suspension while driving. It is not the engine or the rotors (they were replaced in Oct). The problem mainly occurs while coasting or when I reduce speed; and occasionally when turning. I know that it could be multiple issues; just wanting a place to start.

Anybody got any clues?
Could you give us more info?
Is it a continuous knock while slowing?

My first guess is CV joint.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Anybody got any clues?
2005 & 2006 models seem to have a problem with the electric steering. You get the noise you have described above. The solution to mine was to replace the rack first, then 3 months later they need to add a grease package to something. About 3 months after doing that I heard a new clunking sound. After several complaints to the dealer they finally replace (from what they say ) a gear box and steering shaft. Hope this helps you.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking that the noise is coming from the steering only, but I could be wrong. It is a constant knocking while I slow down. It does not seem to be as bad at higher speeds, but that could be the road noise that is fooling me. The brake rotors had to be turned, so they were really bad. But the knocking for the most part seems like it is coming from the steering column. I cant feel it in the pedals or when I turn, but I can feel it when I ride over small bumps in the road.

Anyone had any of these problems covered under an extended warranty?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I am thinking that the noise is coming from the steering only, but I could be wrong. It is a constant knocking while I slow down. It does not seem to be as bad at higher speeds, but that could be the road noise that is fooling me. The brake rotors had to be turned, so they were really bad. But the knocking for the most part seems like it is coming from the steering column. I cant feel it in the pedals or when I turn, but I can feel it when I ride over small bumps in the road.

Anyone had any of these problems covered under an extended warranty?
When I went over bumps slowly you could hear it real good and turning also. I thought I had a broken spring or strut. No it was my steering rack and I had it replaced under the 36/60 warranty. It should still be covered under the extended.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Lifetime Member

^ do you think it could be from exessive brake play?

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
^ do you think it could be from exessive brake play?
no, if you had brake problems you would feel it when applying the brakes. The first time I heard the clunking sound was when the car was about 1 1/2 years old. I talked with the dealer on this several times. He informed me that there was a problem with the steering rack & pinion on 2005 & early 2006 G6 models. You really couldn't feel the problem but you could here it. Turning the wheel or going over bumps. You would hear a clunk sound. Drove me nuts thats why I kept taking the car back to the dealer. It was a freind of mine whose inlaw works for GM that I found out about the steering clunk. He was told that the electric steering was made by a third party and not GM. That they were having all kinds of problem but that there wasn't going to be a recall. The dealers were to fix any that came in with complaints. What they fixed on mine was the rack and pinion was replaced with a new one. Three months later they need to add a grease package somewhere in the steering as it started making noise again. About three months after that they had to replace the steering shaft and gearbox.

Its been about five months now and all seems well. Fingers crossed as I still have 1 1/2 years left on the extended waranty.

Last edited by satfree91; 11-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Update!!!

I have driven the car several longer trips and have noticed that when I turn the car slightly to the left it makes the same knocking sound as coasting.
Any ideas??
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:32 AM

check the front end-tierods, wheel hubs, ball joints. then i'd start with the updated intermediate shaft, easiest and cheapest. if it still there the only other common problem is the steering rack.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Rattle/Rumble from left (drivers) front

I just had the I shaft of the steering linkage re-greased per the TSB. The clunking while turning the wheel is gone, however I still have an ever increasing rumble coming from the driver's side front. It is most noticeable on semi-rough pavement at lower speeds. The greasing of the Intermediate Shaft both inside the car and above the steering rack are a part of Bulletin No.: 06-02-32-007D.
The problem I describe above is described very accurately in this TSB as a third potential cause of the noise, but it is not caused by the I shaft. I'm surprised that that GM did not list this under a separate TSB.
If I did not know any better I'd say the strut was loose or that a link of some kind was broken. Some reports are that the P/S rack is loose. I checked underneath during the last oil change, but found nothing obvious. I have a follow up appointment with my dealer service shop next Tuesday.
I will report back here when I have more information since there seem to be many others experiencing the same or very similar problem.

For the record this is the second time in the shop since purchasing our 2007 GT new in September 2007 for what has been the 4th significant problem. I like our G6, but the fit and finish, general QC, still don't measure up to the Toyotas we have owned. I'm a sucker for Pontiac/Chevy, but this may likely be our last.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 PM

Follow up:
Well, we had to leave it with the dealer for two days, but it seems they managed to fix the secondary rumble coming from the driver's side suspension. The driver's side upper strut mount and strut were both bad. The strut was defective. The inner hydraulic shaft had too much play inside the cartridge. The extra play caused the strut assembly to rock. This caused the mount bolts to place added stress against the upper strut mount, damaging the mount.
Some research has uncovered that this situation is not unique. Why the driver's side strut is affected more than the passenger, who knows?

I must comment on my dealer's follow up. With past GM vehicles (2000 Venture, 97 Skylark V6) I have always had to call the dealer to find out what was going on and pry for details on what the cause of a particular problem was, especially with our Venture. Our Pontiac dealer was very responsive to these recent issues.
We only hope that we don't run into any more of these problems after our 36000 b/b warranty expires. With our current mileage this will likely be late this summer.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM

So there is the steering rack problem and the i-shift problem which truly are different... I've had both issues. Is it true that GM has come up with a new part or something that will prevent one of the problems?
I had my car in during warranty and you know, all of the issues never went away and I just think that I shouldn't have to pay if they have come up with a solution... I mean that is BS. It's not my fault they took so long.

But yeah, i'll control my temper until I at least know if there is an actual fix now. I think that I was told my steering rack was a new part number so the problem shouldn't recur... so I guess it's the i-shaft issue that's really at question here. (I just have more sounds again, so who knows what the heck)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:54 PM

Follow up - Knocking noise

Well, still have the noise. It's not as bad, but it's still there, leading me to believe that there is a separate problem. I have read others discussing a loose steering rack. I plan to call the dealer shop next week and setup another appointment. Similar to the original issue, it is a rumbling noise heard most often at parking lot speeds, from the driver's side, although now it is not nearly as loud as it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in