Cruise Control & Manual shift stopped working & fix - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Cruise Control & Manual shift stopped working & fix

Car: 2007 G6 GT. 3.5L, 4speed auto w/ manual shift.

Problem: My auto/manual shift stopped working and cruise control wouldn't engage Thursday (Happy Thanksgiving!).

I wasn't too worried because everything else worked fine - shifted into gear, no weird burning smells, etc. The steering wheel lights for cruise control lit up when pressed, but just would not turn on.

I checked all of the fuses (passenger side kick panel, engine bay and trunk) and all were fine. We certainly have a lot of fuses in different places for the same systems.

I drove it around for another day, just to see if it would magically fix itself, or if anything else would happen (it was impossible to get into the dealer or a mechanic), and nothing got worse, or fixed itself.

Solution: Today, I unhooked the battery for 15 minutes. Hooked it back up, cranked it up, shifted into Manual fine, drove it around and used cruise control (in the rain, not too smart!). The reset worked!

Just wanted to post it here, in case someone else has the same issues. I didn't see any other posts on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Lifetime Member

^ Thanks for the post, I'm sure it will be helpful.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

You didnt get a CEL??

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I didn't get anything. No warnings, beeps, bells, explosions, etc

I'm thinking I should still take it in. I've never had to reboot a car before.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Mine has the same issue with the auto/manual tap shift not working and my cruise control only works on occasion. This is the second time with the cruise control. I had it in the shop 3 times for this about a year ago. The first time, they thought it was the brake pedal sensor, still didn't work properly. The second time, they replaced something in the steering wheel column and it still only worked once in a while. The third time, they replaced the body control module. This seemed to fix it for about a year but now I am having the same exact issue. I turn it on and it will work sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes longer. Then the car will feel like it's braking and the cruise goes off. Then sometimes I can turn it back on immediately, other times I can't, and if I wait a while, I can then turn it back on.

I never use the manual tap shift so I'm not sure how long that hasn't worked. I just tried it a few weeks ago and noticed it didn't display in the window but since I don't use it, wasn't too worried about it. However, I got an oil change and then it worked for about a mile and then switched back into automatic.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM

I Have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT and the same problem with Manual Transmission, however, the cruise control works fine.
I tried to unplug the battery cable, wait for a couple of hours, but it didn't work for me. The manual transmission still doesn't work.
Any other ideas ? Could it be a simple issue like a fuse or something ?

Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Manual shift problem

I had the same problem on my 2007 GT. This is what the dealer did.

Correction: Checked for DTCS. Found P1818. Performed bulletin
070730005B. Reprogrammed TCM. Cleared DTCS. All OK

Hope this helps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:17 AM

I wish to avoid going to a dealer, but if the problem is with TCM there's no other way.

Thanks !
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Power trips are like duck tape. Works on anything. I've done the same thing on my High Speed Internet modem and my HDD. Your solution makes sense
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 PM

A FREE fix!

Hello all,

This is my first post here but I figured I'm obligated to give thanks to Skahld and the forums as a whole for the solutions provided. My Cruise-Control also stopped working and I was really worried that I'd face expensive repairs. The night after my cruise stopped working my Remote-Start stopped working as well. I stumbled across this forum and had been scouring it for hours reading lots of helpful advice.

I tried disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for about 60 seconds and reconnecting but it did not appear to fix the problem. I drove to the Pontiac dealership and the mechanic there said it'd cost over $100 just to have someone look at it and probably much more to work on the internal computer.

After that disappointment I figured I'd try to unhook the negative terminal from the battery for a little longer (45 Minutes) and after doing so my car worked again! My cruise-control functioned and my remote-start worked!

If you are having the same issue make sure you leave the battery unplugged for a minimum of 15 minutes. Just figured I'd share in-case anyone has the same issue and thought the battery solution didn't work.

Thank you everyone!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Remove both battery cables and touch them together, then you won't have to wait 15 min to drain the capacitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in