You'd HAVE to be kidding me ='[ - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Young Punk

Unhappy You'd HAVE to be kidding me ='[

So, today, a beautiful car suffers a major malfunction.
My passenger side door will not close.
I was parked in the mall parking lot, inside getting my mother a christmas present (such a loving son I am), and when I come out, some ($#)-head in a Jeep TJ Sport has parked hisself a good.. 2 inches away from my driver's side door.
So, "No big deal," I think to myself as I use my (finally) functional keyless entry to unlock the doors, "I'll just go through the passenger door."
So, I pull the lever for the passenger door, and the door doesn't want to move. Lovingly, I give it a gentle tug and, with a very slight cracking noise which I assume to have been ice buildup around the door, it opens.
I silently apologise to my car for the cracking, as well as the fact that I'm about to crawl through it's interior with snow-and-dirt-covered workboots in a very un-professional manner.
I sit in the passenger seat and pull the door closed.
Door doesn't close.
FRIK.
So, I look at the door, puzzled, and give it a gentle pull closed again.
Doesn't stay closed.
So I take my house key and push on the latch.
Latch moves all the way into the position at with, I'd imagine, it should lock itself in place for the safety of the passenger.
Pops back open.
Now, we've established that something has gone horribly, horribly wrong with my door latch.
The question I have for you, oh fellow owners of the most difficult yet beautiful vehicle in it's price-range, is what's going on here? is there a possibility that somethings simply frozen up and a good thaw will solve my problem? Or has something actually broken? It's a good... 20 degrees celsius below 0, and I normally keep my baby outside, as other family members feel their vehicles (ie. my grandfather's Mercedes) are more important to keep warm, and I'm praying that it's just the cold that's causing this problem, but I'd like to know if anyone else has ever had this issue? Has anyone seen the mechanism in question? And if so, did it look like something might break on it in the event that X amount of force was applied to it in the cold (where X is equivalent to a gentle slam (and i do mean gentle) or a gentle jerk (once again, I do mean gentle)?
(I'm keeping Loni in the garage tonight (yes.. I named her Loni, and I hand was her, and detail her every week, and check her fluids every two weeks) in hopes that it's just something that's gotten cold and will thaw out)
I hope that somehow, by the will of the powers that be, it's sorted itself out by tomorrow morning when I check it, or that when I check these forums in frustration tomorrow, some guru has stepped forth and offered his knowledge.
I'm going to go drink until I don't have the mental capacity to think about this now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 AM

unfortunatly with all the cold weather it could be that the metal has frozen. my suggestion to you is that you take the door panel off and see if the metal rods that control your latch hasnt popped off, or worse, the clips that hold them broken.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Young Punk

It turned out it was just frozen. Still, a scary situation it was to make left hand doors and get a nice cold blast of Calgary winter in my face. All's well with my baby now, I'm hoping it will stay that way too. the driving has been a bit hellish on those all seasons (we have a winter tire shortage here due to the laws passed making winter tires a requirement for Quebec and Ontario (it always seems they take everything from the west, in exchange for old men who lie a lot lol)) Oh well. She'll be going in for a full servicing in the next few months (probably in March, as my birthday present to myself).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Lifetime Member

Wow
Glad to hear all is better. Thanks for keeping us up to date with this issue. I hope you don't have that prob again!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
you should print out some pages like i did that has Micky Mouse giving the finger saying next time leave a can opener so I can get my car out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 AM

Smile

StainedFaith, if you had a camera with you, you could have taken a picture of the A*hole Jeep and posted it at this website:

http://www.youparklikean*******.com/

Woops, looks like this site edits out the naughty words. But you can figure out what it is: Starts with an "A", followed by an "S", another "S" and then "hole"!!!

Last edited by TomCat; 01-06-2009 at 05:47 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Do you own a coupe??

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Cool

Nope, GT 4 door.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

My bolts have come loose on the hinge before on my back pass side door. did you check that?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Young Punk

No loose bolts on the doors that I've noticed, in about a half hour I'm getting dressed and rolling my baby into the shop for a good stern talking to about how our relationship is going. Hahah.
Basically, On thursday I drove 1000 kilometers out to Coquitlam through the rocky mountains. Made it in 10 hours, so I'm not complaining, but at the same time, on some of the downhill slopes I noticed that if I applied the brakes too hard, or for too long, the car started to shudder like some sort of possessed demon. It almost felt as though the I was going to fly off the road (Not the kinda of feeling you want to get on a 2-lane highway with a 1000 foot drop to one side and a rock cliff on the other, with no cellphone reception at all, and semi trucks flying around the corners at 100 kilometers per hour)thankfully, I made it. The next day, I did my drive back, which went much more smoothly. But at the same time, My girlfriend and some of my family live in the Vancouver area, And I'd like to visit them in a non-life-threatening manner. That and the fact that the car is doing that kinda scares me, because we have a few roads here where we go up to 100, and drivers are idiots (hence the gouge in my dashboard :'()... all it would really take is for that to happen and something to break.... and we could very easily see a major pile-up. I'll be posting about this in a new thread, I've looked around and haven't really seen anything like it yet.

also, I know all about the "[email protected]$$hole.com" site.. I carry 8 of their tickets in my glovebox, just in case ;D

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in