Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Cruise control not working

13K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I own a 2007 Pontiac G6 with about 137k miles on it. I had two recalls done back in November, one being for the brake lamps that affected the cruise control. Yesterday, my husband noticed that the cruise control started working intermittently. He'd be able to turn it on, then it would turn off while driving down the freeway. He took the switch off and found that there is a battery in it (what??) and replaced it (it's a really basic model that originally had no cruise control, so the dealership installed a two button system onto the steering wheel; not sure if that makes a difference). Irregardless of the battery change, the cruise is doing the same thing. Is it possible that the recall repair is now failing and needs to be redone? Or is there something else going on with the cruise control?

Another issue I've noticed is when coming to a complete stop, the brakes seem... weak I guess would be the best way to describe it. I have allow extra time to brake or it feels as though I won't stop in time. When I do stop, the car bounces forward and then back. I had the passenger side control arm replaced two years ago during a brake pad and rotor change because it was loose.

I hope my descriptions aren't too confusing. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
To add on to this, on Saturday we noticed after starting the car that the tail lights were on even though it was sunny (automatic lights). I had my husband stand by the tail lights as I pressed and released the brakes. After stepping on the brakes twice, they turned off. Now I'm really starting to think the recall I had done isn't working.

#4 ·
If you need a quick fix I had this happen to my wife's car.

While going down the road (preferably a residential street) press on the brake while trying to set the cruise. I had to do this a few times but it got my car out of its funk.

I then went to O'Riley's and got some dielectric grease. I opened the area of the center console on the passengers side up by the dash where the access to the BCM's are. Remove both harnesses and apply a good dollop of grease on each harness plug end.

After doing this I have had no more issues.

#6 ·
' I opened the area of the center console on the passengers side up by the dash where the access to the BCM's are.'
That's about it, 2 very large grey? connectors held tight by a lever lock.
Pull that panel on the rh of the console down low, and they are there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.