any updates re: panoramic roof noise? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

any updates re: panoramic roof noise?

Guys, the noise from my p-roof is REALLY starting to bother me. I mean it is just constant tapping/rattling/knocking/etc. The only time I don't hear it is if I just blast the stereo. And it is not that noticeable when driving at higher speeds. But most of my driving is done at low speeds, in town. This is annoying as heck. I have still yet to take it into the dealer. I am afraid that they will want to take the headliner down to try to repair it, and I am VERY hesitant to do that. I am starting to think this might be a problem for as long as I own the car. I really hope not because that would be a big disappointment.

Does anyone have any updated info on this problem? Anyone have this problem and get it resolved by a dealer? Is there a service bulletin on this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:54 AM

I don't know much about this kinda thing, but this should be covered under your warrenty. This car isn't even a year old yet, and this new sunroof is already giving these problems?

This makes me hesitant to get it, I hope it's not that bad of a problem
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, it's pretty bad. In my opinion. It's not something that I just want to "live with". Now let me say that I have NOT taken it in to the dealer yet to try to get the problem resolved. If they can fix it, that's great. I would be happy. But if not, I'm going to be pretty disappointed that I chose to get the P-roof.

But that is the only problem I have had with the vehicle, other than twice my 6 disc changer has locked up on me. That seems to be a pretty common problem though and it corrected itself. I love the car otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

I used to have the noise every once in a while, but since it's warmed up here, i haven't heard it at all. I would suggest you just go to the dealer and have them fix it because if it does it alot, it will just get worse over time.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM

So...what exactly IS this problem...what causes, what does it sound like, why?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Its a light rattling noise coming from the headliner when traveling at low speeds.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

i have posted this before, but I will describe exactly what I'm hearing again....

there is a tapping noise that comes from directly above the driver's head. It sounds like someone tapping on glass. And then there is a fairly loud rattle or pop that comes from toward the rear of the sunroof area whenever you go over a bump or an incline. But it can also happen for no apparent reason, just driving down the road. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like 2 pieces of plastic sliding together and then when they hit you hear a "pop" or a "click".
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:13 AM

Panoramic noise...

The only thing I noticed its a bit noisier at certain speeds depending on how much you have it open... like if I have at 1 or 4 it sounds fine on the freeway and at 2 or 3, its a bit nosier.

Of course the noise I hear is from the airflow going over the car.... I haven't had any noise related to how well the roof is made...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Um not that I know of
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 12:23 PM

I think if you're having troubles, your best bet would simply be to go back to your dealership and tell them that you are experiencign these problems, and you have other G6 owners who have as well.

It should be under warrenty, god willing.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:23 PM

I found a similar popping noise over the front driver and passengers head and concluded that it was coming from the bottom corner of the panoramic roof rubbing against the backside of the fiberglass headliner. There were two plastic embossments (found where the metal track and plastic front corner section intersected) that protruded downward into the headliner. I just pulled the headliner down out of the surrounding trim seal of the panoramic opening to expose the front corner. Then I took the soft side of a piece of Velcro, stuck it across these two embossments and eliminated the noise.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 01:31 PM

I am having the same issue. It seems that it has gotten worse since it's been hot here. (Mid 90's almost half the month!) I need to get it looked it. It's REALLY annoying, and quite embarasssing when trying to convince someone that they should get a G6!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Have any of you tried to find out where it might be coming from have somone else drive your car and then you listen and look??
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM

Itchy Noise

I agree with the Panoramic Guy. I was able to eliminate the noise on my car by putting a felt spacer on the bottom of the black plastic bosses that were rubbing against the headliner. Sounded like an itchy noise while going over bumps, mostly at slower speeds. It's not that hard to get to. Need to pull off the lace around the opening, then bend the headliner down just a little. The bosses are on both sides, so make sure you cover both with felt. You can you this, or ask the dealer to .
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:04 AM

I've taken my car back twice now for this issue. (As well as once for the six-disc changer, but that is fixed now.. hopefully.) The dealership claims to of fixed the moonroof both times, and both times I have gotten a good 12 hours out of it before it starts making the noise again.

I put in a call to my salesman to see if he can assist with the service department. Thank you guys for confirming I am not crazy! This also didn't happen the first few months I had the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in