Pontiac G6 Forum banner

07 G6 "Reduced Engine Power"

105K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5 liter V6. One day I drove it and the check Engine light came on and a message came up on the display "Reduced Engine Power". The car started to run very badly. I parked it, looked under the hood saw no signs of anything wrong, disconnected the battery to reset the computer and the car ran fine!!! It happen again two days later!!! what would cause the car to do this???? :confused: :confused:

#3 ·
There is an issue with your throttle actuator control.

This is what I got from gm service information
Reduced Engine Power Mode
When the ECM detects a condition with the TAC system, the ECM may enter a reduced engine power mode. Reduced engine power may cause one or more of the following conditions:

• Acceleration limiting--The ECM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control, however, the vehicle acceleration is limited.

• Limited throttle mode--The ECM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control, however, the maximum throttle opening is limited.

• Throttle default mode--The ECM will turn OFF the throttle actuator motor and the throttle will return to the spring loaded default position.

• Forced idle mode--The ECM will perform the following actions:

- Limit engine speed to idle by positioning the throttle position, or by controlling the fuel and spark if the throttle is turned OFF

- Ignore the accelerator pedal input

• Engine shutdown mode--The ECM will disable fuel and de-energize the throttle actuator.

The tac system is the throttle actuator control

#4 ·
throttle actuator control

Thanks for the info!!! I'll look into the throttle actuator control and see if there is a issue,and I'll let you Know the out come, ether way!!! I was thinking on the lines of O2 sensor or something to do with the Emissions/Cat etc!!!! :) :)

#5 ·
Up-Date

Ok had to wait for the check Engine to come on again so I could check the codes. I got two codes (P1515 / P2101)!! P1516 refers to the TAC and says The ECM has detected an out of range condition between the predicted and actual throttle position. P2101 refers to the Throttle Position sensor, And says that the TP senor does not agree with the APP. It Further stated that the ECM has detected the TPS angle does not agree with the APP commanded angle. :confused::confused::confused: :eek: What the Hell!!! LMAO

#9 ·
Up Date!!!!

Ok heres the deal, I took the Throttle body off, cleaned it (looks like new!!) real good and then I checked the Module on the side of it for moisture and the connection!!! Put every thing back together,and so far every thing is good ( no check engine light- no Reduced Engine Power mode,and the car is running fine!!!
Lampoon you are the man thanks again for that ON THE MONEY CALL!!!!
:bow2: :bow2::bow2: :bow2: :bow2: :bow2:
You And this Forum Are Great!!! And I hope that this thread can help others solve some issues that they might have with their G6 Thanks A Million plus
A Million :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile: :dogpile:

#12 ·
Kinda the same question.

I am kinda having the same problem except that reduced engine power message didnt start till I drove through some standing water on the road. My car died and I tried to start it. (trying to get my kids home in tornado weather) The next morning there was water in my air intake and my air filter was soaking wet. When I took my car to the shop they said that there was water in my oil. Now my reduce engine power message and check engine light come on every time it rains. Any suggestions what my problem might be? Did I damage my engine or flood it?

#13 ·
I am kinda having the same problem except that reduced engine power message didnt start till I drove through some standing water on the road. My car died and I tried to start it. (trying to get my kids home in tornado weather) The next morning there was water in my air intake and my air filter was soaking wet. When I took my car to the shop they said that there was water in my oil. Now my reduce engine power message and check engine light come on every time it rains. Any suggestions what my problem might be? Did I damage my engine or flood it?
water....is....bad....in....an....engine. from my short experience with cars, i know for a fact that water is very bad for any motor. call me out if you will, but i would have the engine rebuilt depending on how much water and damage it caused OR have someone (or you) flush the hell out of the motor and somehow let the water evoporate. if it were me, i would park it til the motor was looked at to prevent any damage.

question: how did water get into your motor? you said you drove through standing water? how deep? if you submerged your car enough for the intake to suck water in...your engine is screwed and needs rebuilt big time. the reasons for a rebuild is one: repair internal damaged parts two: get the water out as it wont just evaporate three: rust may form or be forming four: electrical components shorted out five: you can replace the parts for performance parts like bored cyclinders, oversized pistons/forged pistons/cams.

not only will your motor need a rebuild some of your electrical parts may have shorted out causing your ECU to do funky things. hope i helped a bit. its what i would do if i went scuba diving with my g6.

#16 ·
Similar situation...I have an 09 G6 with a 4cyl and my son was driving it and the SES light came on and reduced power message came up. Plugged a code reader in and got P2135 TPS A/B warning. Replaced the TPS and same thing. Wiggled the wires to the TPS plug and didn't change anything. Next will be the pedal assy replacement. Any other ideas? It just now has 105k and we've had all service done on time. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

#19 ·
My apologies. When I said I replaced the TPS I meant to say TB. Yes, brand new TB and now new pigtail to TB.
Just went to dealer and he said possibly needs a new wiring harness from Pedal Assy to ECM.
the accelerator pedal position sensor & it's circuit play no role in a p2135.

since you've eliminated the TB as the culprit, u have high resistance in the signal, low ref or 5 volt ref wire for either TP sensor 1 or TP sensor 2. generally, if a dealer mechanic can't easily see the damage to the wires, he will just restring all six wires from the ECM to the TB & bypass the existing wires. it doesn't really take very long.

#23 ·
Ok, as dumb as this may sound, I think I have it fixed. I started the car up in the driveway and let it run. It ran until it was up to temperature and then I wiggled the wires to the APP sensor on the pedal and it threw up the codes. I disconnected it and blew it out with compressed air then reconnected it. Drove it to the auto parts store and put the reader on it..cleared the codes..bought some grease (sensor safe) and applied it to the connection. It has been running a week with no problems.

#27 ·
Well spoke too soon. Doing same thing again. Next step is to check all connections on the control module. If that doesn't work then in the shop it goes to have a new wiring harness made for that side of the car. If that doesn't fix it then I will be finding out how flame retardant it is. Lol.

#30 ·
please help!! REDUCED POWER ENGINE

My 2008 G6 has been showing reduced power engine for several weeks now, i purchased a new throttle body for over 300 dollars and didn't solve the problem, then i had an emissions test done and it make my car 100x worse, now it's not running more than 20km/hr without the traction light coming on.

Please help me before i end up spending tons more money on this car.

Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.