Please be honest! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Please be honest!

G6s are plagued with problems, right? I've read so many horror stories that I decided not to buy the 10k mile '06 G6 coupe I was going to pick up tomorrow. If there's any reason why I should buy it please let me know and explain why. I have cash on hand and I really love this car, but wouldn't want to waste my money and buying myself a big headache. Please comment. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 AM

There are some known issues but I say overall the G6 is a good car. As with any other car your purchase would greatly depend on luck. You could end up with a lemon or you could have a great car. There are no guarantees. I have some minor problems with my G6 and I expect that will continue, that's normal with any car. As long as there are no major problems to deal with. I am happy with G6. Nothing else on the market offers me the same blend of style, performance, and price. Since you have done your research, you should know what to look for or what to avoid in terms of common defects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Lifetime Member

lando pr,
I've commented on just such a topic somewhere else on this forum about this very thing. The G6 does have common problems. The G6 has a main issue with the steering clunking, mine has it. If you are looking for a vehicle without troubles you will have to spend a bit more money. The G6 is the replacement for the Grand Am (is was originally refered to as the 6st generation Grand AM, hence the name "G6") and as the Grand AM was the G6 is an inexpensive mid sized sports car. Pontiac targeted the "Middle" income consumers and produced the G6. The down fall of any auto maker that targets an income group is the fact that they will have to use less than the best to make the car affordable for the consumer.
So now to answer your question; I would take the car to YOUR machanic and let them check it out. If all seems well buy it. This doesn't mean you won't have issues. You'll have to take the same chance we all do. I personally do not have the issues with the G6 that other folks seem to and to add, the forums I vist Pontiac, Mazda, Honda and Chevy all have the same theme; "My cars fkd up".
Don't sell yourself short because if you do buy the G6 you might start looking for trouble and if you start looking you will more than likely find it. "When in doubt throw it out". I like the G6, I would buy another one; I almost did.

Good LUCK!!

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
lando pr,
I've commented on just such a topic somewhere else on this forum about this very thing. The G6 does have common problems. The G6 has a main issue with the steering clunking, mine has it. If you are looking for a vehicle without troubles you will have to spend a bit more money. The G6 is the replacement for the Grand Am (is was originally refered to as the 6st generation Grand AM, hence the name "G6") and as the Grand AM was the G6 is an inexpensive mid sized sports car. Pontiac targeted the "Middle" income consumers and produced the G6. The down fall of any auto maker that targets an income group is the fact that they will have to use less than the best to make the car affordable for the consumer.
So now to answer your question; I would take the car to YOUR machanic and let them check it out. If all seems well buy it. This doesn't mean you won't have issues. You'll have to take the same chance we all do. I personally do not have the issues with the G6 that other folks seem to and to add, the forums I vist Pontiac, Mazda, Honda and Chevy all have the same theme; "My cars fkd up".
Don't sell yourself short because if you do buy the G6 you might start looking for trouble and if you start looking you will more than likely find it. "When in doubt throw it out". I like the G6, I would buy another one; I almost did.

Good LUCK!!

I've owned 3 Grand Ams and I've experienced a lot less problems than most people seem to have. I guess it all comes down to mantainance. What I would like to avoid is spending 15k on a car that will ask for a few Ks along a year or two. I know that cars ask for parts now and then but what scares me is the defects. Those that even if I fix them they will come back to hunt me. If the G6 will not have those then I will gladly buy it, since I am a fan of the G6 Coupe since Pontiac released it.

Last edited by lando_pr; 02-15-2009 at 09:38 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Lifetime Member

Are you in a position to get an extended warrenty? That may be a good compromise.

Mike
MODS;
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Hello, lando_pr

I heard a lot about the g6 problems before I bought mine, but haven't experienced any on my half yet. Like geewhiz said it's to your advantage to pick up the $1500 extended warranty. Sounds like a lot, but I think it's worth it if you have any doubts. According to the dealer I got my g6 from if I don't use it within a year I can continue the warranty or get a 100% refund on the warranty price. Although, it doesn't really matter what car you get they all have common problems. It's almost impossible to get a car that your not gonna have some kind of problems with down the road. Another thing is the actual driver of the vehicle if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I just test drove the 10k mile 2006 G6 GT Coupe. Guess what? I heard the famous clunking noise from the steering or suspension. From what I've read I guess it's either the rack, tie rod or I-shaft. The car is still under warranty so they'll take care of it. Now, the big question is....Will the noise come back?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando_pr View Post
Ok, I just test drove the 10k mile 2006 G6 GT Coupe. Guess what? I heard the famous clunking noise from the steering or suspension. From what I've read I guess it's either the rack, tie rod or I-shaft. The car is still under warranty so they'll take care of it. Now, the big question is....Will the noise come back?
Sweet treat there! Look at some of the threads here and on G6perfomance that will be a big help.

I have the clunking and I'm still very pleased w/ the G6.

Mike
MODS;
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sweet treat there! Look at some of the threads here and on G6perfomance that will be a big help.

I have the clunking and I'm still very pleased w/ the G6.
Did you ever try to fix it? Or have you just left it alone? And again, will it come back?

Last edited by lando_pr; 02-17-2009 at 09:35 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Member

I know what it is and I know it can be fixed. It's not getting worse. IF I feel the need to have it fixed I don't intend to let the dealership do the repair. My 6 has the extended warrenty but I feel the dealership mechanics are closer to parts swapers than mechanics. So if I have a "repair" I let machanics do it.
Do you have a mechanic you trust? If so let them tell you about that particular repair.

Mike
MODS;
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:17 PM

I had the noise in my G6, I love the car by the way, I brought it in to Pontiac and they replaced the power steering rack under warranty, no problem anymore

2007 G6 GT

Debadged, K&N Drop In Air Filter, Pioneer DEH-6200bt w/ Metra Kit, L.E.D. Tailights, L.E.D. 3rd Brake Light, 7500k High beam, Low Beam, and Fog Lights, L.E.D Lights Behind the Grille, L.E.D. Reverse Lamps, Ya, Basically L.E.D.s all over, And more to come....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know what it is and I know it can be fixed. It's not getting worse. IF I feel the need to have it fixed I don't intend to let the dealership do the repair. My 6 has the extended warrenty but I feel the dealership mechanics are closer to parts swapers than mechanics. So if I have a "repair" I let machanics do it.
Do you have a mechanic you trust? If so let them tell you about that particular repair.
I understand your concern. So basically, the clunking will annoy but won't affect the operation? And if it get fixed, it will stay fixed for years to come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I had the noise in my G6, I love the car by the way, I brought it in to Pontiac and they replaced the power steering rack under warranty, no problem anymore
Ok, thanks. That's really good news

Last edited by lando_pr; 02-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

sooo.....did u buy it or what?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in