Door Ajar/Alarm Issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Door Ajar/Alarm Issue

I've got a 2005 G6, something tripped the anti-theft system last night. Now the car is telling me that a door is ajar when no ajar door can be found and the interior lights won't go off.

Does the alarm system need reset to fix this problem? Or am I just too weak to close a door?

Even when i arm the car the interior light stay on.... and the doors wont lock... please help....

I did a search and found no items with the same issue as i have... :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Here are the steps taken:

open car door and sit i it for 10 minutes (interior lights stay on for all 10 minutes) not automatically arming itself.

2 start the car, you hear a chime "Door Ajar", i press the Door Lock button, all doors lock except for the Driver side door, stays open "door ajar"....

turn ignition off, and stay in car waiting for alarm to arm itself, nothing.... i have to use the Stock Dongle thing to lock the doors, have to press the lock button twice in order for the doors to lock..... then i arm the car with the Python....

Any help would suffice. i personally think it's the alarm system and not the door issue....

Last edited by WhoRyder; 02-23-2009 at 07:47 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

I'm thinking the driver's door sensor is bad. Let's think about it logically...

What makes the car alarm go off: Either 1. One of the doors is opened once armed without using the Remote Keyless Entry, 2. The hood is opened on cars with remote start, or 3. I think it's the trunk but I can't remember...

I think 1 is the scenario you have...

In addition with the DIC saying door ajar...The car somehow thinks your driver's door is open

In additon to the doors not locking when you hit the lock button. The car is locking all the doors then reopen the driver's door because it believes that the driver's door is open and it doesn't want you to lock your keys in the car. Hint: if you hold the lock button down for like 3-5 seconds it'll override that saftey feature.

The only thing I'm not sure is how about the sensor went bad in the first place, especially if it was just sitting in your driveway...unless some idiot was trying to open your car door and just managed to damage the sensor.

In conclusion I believe it is a door sensor thing, NOT an alarm thing. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Also, I'm no shade tree mechanic so I'm not huge help fixing it, just trying to point you in the right direction.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
I'm thinking the driver's door sensor is bad. Let's think about it logically...

What makes the car alarm go off: Either 1. One of the doors is opened once armed without using the Remote Keyless Entry, 2. The hood is opened on cars with remote start, or 3. I think it's the trunk but I can't remember...

I think 1 is the scenario you have...

In addition with the DIC saying door ajar...The car somehow thinks your driver's door is open

In additon to the doors not locking when you hit the lock button. The car is locking all the doors then reopen the driver's door because it believes that the driver's door is open and it doesn't want you to lock your keys in the car. Hint: if you hold the lock button down for like 3-5 seconds it'll override that saftey feature.

The only thing I'm not sure is how about the sensor went bad in the first place, especially if it was just sitting in your driveway...unless some idiot was trying to open your car door and just managed to damage the sensor.

In conclusion I believe it is a door sensor thing, NOT an alarm thing. Then again I could be totally wrong.

Also, I'm no shade tree mechanic so I'm not huge help fixing it, just trying to point you in the right direction.
we got a lot of rain the day before yesterday so it may have ben that.. but i could be wrong... i am taking it to the GM mechanic today and they will fix that a few other issues....

thansk!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

okay, left the car @ GM service today.... while there i'm having a few other things looked at, like my Fog light switch broken... etc....

they will call me this afternoon with the diagnostic....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

No update yet, my car has been in the hands of the GM guys for over 24 hours already, they called me last night and told me that they will look and see what the problem is first thing today, so lets see..... i think it's a sensor issue, may have to re order me a sensor, if they dont have them in stock....

But i hope they get it on time for the weekend, i need my Vehicle.... :-)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Lifetime Member

Let us know what they find. Try to get the bad part back, its yours.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

WTF...

So i call the tech @ GM, and he tells me, "you have a batch Latch but we're not sure which one"....

I say, "yeah i told you i have a bad latch, but it shouldn't take over 48 hours for you to determine which latch it is.....

I been car-less for 48hours +.... and they "Still" haven't determined which latch it is... I need my car before the weekend, if it is not done by tomorrow i will go pick it up, order the parts online and do the shit myself......
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Oh, now i am fricken pissed off....

the guy called me and says that i have a bad latch, but..... they don't know which latch is it because of my after market alarm system... they asked me to take it back to the alarm place and have the alarm removed and then bring it back....

Seriously.. WTF....

I'm ordering 2 latches today from Pontiac and taking to my local guy and have him install for 50 bucks each.... not a happy camper....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Yes, I know of the bad sensor issue. Had one last week and now another one this week. I'm not kidding. My car has 87,000 mile on it and this is the first major issue it has had. There is a unit inside of each door that tells the computer system that the door is ajar. A simple diagnostic test can be run to determine which sensor has gone bad. The problem is there is one for each door and each costs about $250 to replace. Pretty expensive, annoying problem. Yes, the interior lights are connected to this. I think they also control the lock of the door. I've had an issue with that as well. These are bad everywhere it seems. I wonder if GM will recall or reimburse for this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in