Pontiac G6 Forum banner

How do the Bat Wings Work ?

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Willow 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible. The passenger side bat wing cable is broken where the eyelet connects to the frame of the conv.top. How do the bat wings work ? I can make a cable, but don't know where it connects to other than the bolt for the eyelet. Does the plastic covered unit pull it or does it run to the bat wing through the spring. Thanks for your help in advance...

#6 ·
Took me a while to work out what plastic box you were asking about. Having looked, I would suggest there is no motor nor anything of value there. It looks to simply be a plastic housing that the cable passes behind. In the attached picture I hope you can see the cable. It routes through the plastic and comes out to the red oval adjustment screw and continues to the red circle where it attaches to one of the min lift arms. Looks to be activated mechanically as part of the top lift motion.

:) No whining! :)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#8 ·
Boomer - Finally got back to this. Nice Pic's... Here is what I have. Cable broke. After seeing your pic's, I finaly got the nerve to stick my hands back there and remove the cable assembly. Is this a purchasable part ? (is that a real word?) LOL!!!

Thanks Again for your support. Want to get this fixed. I zip-strapped the bat wing in it's holding position out of the way for now.

#13 ·
Ok need some help the cable broke on the driver side bat wing and I didn't realize it when putting down the top and it broke the plastic cover off the and the hing off the main rear deck lid. Can I have it reattached it looks like a screw pulled out or loose or do I need to buy that side hing I found one for $129 on ebay don't believe it has a cable with it so I would need it where can I get that? I had you can still order it. Also is there a schematic of this I can download and print out, I have a body shop willing to try and fix it for me. The local Chevy Buick dealer who welded a trunk hing for me last year would not do this even with me buying the part. I don't have the time and not sure I have the skill to do it myself I am desperate but don't know where to turn to, I live in Owensboro, KY and the care only has 52,000 miles on it i bought it from the original owner with only 15,000 and it was taken well care of and kept in a garage, and looks new still. Thanks for any help anyone can give me on the parts and what is needed to fix it so I can pass it along to the shop that is going to try and fix it, unless someone knows of another place close to me that knows how to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.