Both key fobs not working - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By g6g

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Both key fobs not working

Hi all. Just bought a 2008 G6 GT. Previous owner said that both fobs worked but now they don't. NO functions on the fobs work. She said it started around the time that she got her car battery replaced. Both fob batteries are new. They look like they are in good shape too. I checked the fuse associated with the receiver and it was ok. It's not often that BOTH fobs don't work like this so I'm getting the impression that the issue might be something within the vehicle itself. Any ideas what it might be???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:04 PM
2007 gt retractable

both of mine were bad.i bought some plastic inserts online that fixed them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
g6g

Hi,

I think this is what zenich was referring to. I got one fron there and the fob is as good as new,

Keylessfix - Home
zenish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that tip. I can use that for my other vehicle remotes. The one spare remote that I have for this car is brand new, so it should work without this. I did find a link to a TSB for this exact issue. TSB# 08-03-16-001B. Along with the fobs not working, the TPM system is not reading correctly. It has dashes on all four tire readings. That TSB covers those two issues and points me in the direction of having the RCDLR reprogrammed. This is a common issue when the car battery is replaced. $180 bill for this. Ouch! I'm crossing my fingers that this is the issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 PM
g6g

Good job on digging that up and posting it here. Might help someone else with the same problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

I got in too deep with this repair. The RCDLR module had to be replaced. After an hour of being on the phone with a GM tech we were able to get the module to take the program, but it still wouldn't work. $70 for the part and 3 hours diagnostic/install labor was kind of a waste. It's working now but it would have been cheaper to just get an aftermarket fob that would control the doors and auto start. Hopefully my encounter will help someone else make a better choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in