Retractable hardtop problem. Trunk won't open. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Retractable hardtop problem. Trunk won't open.

I have a 2007 g6. Bought it new, only 4200 miles on it.
I cannot get the trunk to open. I have an error that says the top is not secure. When I tried securing it by pushing the button to close the top, the windows come down and then nothing else happens. If I try to open it, it tells me to check the cargo top. I know the cargo top is not closed because I have luggage in there. Any clues on how to get the trunk to open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
08 convertible

Is the top up or in the trunk?
When you say you can't open the trunk, do you mean you can't unlock it? If so, are you trying to unlock it with the remote or with the button on the door? Have you tried both?
Or do you mean it does unlock but cannot be physically opened (lifted up) because of a physical obstruction of some kind?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM

The only way I have managed to fix the "top not secure" and "check cargo top" was to remove the rear seats so that I could get a broom handle or similar to pull the manual emergency release. It was a real pain but did work. I was somewhat fortunate that I already had the carpet like cover out and I had nothing in the trunk that would obstruct me. Similar it may be possible to fashion something that would allow you to hook the cargo cover switch.

A dealer or someone with a Tech II or similar high end diagnostic tool may be able to command the system to think the cargo cover is in place and complete the convertible top close cycle.

Hope you get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM
2007 gt retractable

oh great.another problem i hadn't thought of.i wonder if i should run a wire from the trunk switch to somewhere i can access?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Here ya go:

Car in Park; Engine OFF
Disconnect the battery terminals for a few minutes.

Reconnect battery. Do NOT start engine.

Your remote will now open the trunk.
Inspect for debris, etc, and ensure that cargo top ant its connectors are intact and flat, to prevent a recurrence of your problem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:04 PM

Nice tip - thanks. I hope I never need it again but good to know. Much easier than removing the rear seats...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Tulipl;269415]I have a 2007 g6. Bought it new, only 4200 miles on it.
I cannot get the trunk to open. I have an error that says the top is not secure. When I tried securing it by pushing the button to close the top, the windows come down and then nothing else happens. If I try to open it, it tells me to check the cargo top. I know the cargo top is not closed because I have luggage in there. Any clues on how to get the trunk to open?[/QUOTE. Take the negative battery post off for 60 seconds, put it back on and push trunk release. It should open ]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:10 PM
2007 gt retractable

so did this work?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I am wondering as well.
I had heard about it, and if I recall, the theory of this being that with disconnect, the top module goes blank, and you hit the trunk button before any top command and it works because it doesn't 'know' there is an issue.
At least that is theory.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:17 AM
2007 gt retractable

it could be worse.theres one in nc for 1700 dollars because the top won't go up.a 3.9 engine
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Nice tip - thanks. I hope I never need it again but good to know. Much easier than removing the rear seats...
Happy to help.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 PM
2007 G6 'vert

Cool another option

There is another option that I used when my vert ate the wire insulation by the hinges.
If you take the cover off of the electrical panel on the passenger side tunnel there is a relay in there that triggers the trunk lock. You can pull the relay and jump the connection to pop the trunk solenoid.
If you need this I'll look up which relay it is.

2007 G6 GT Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in