Has anyone had any luck programming an ignition key themselves?
Here's my current dilemma:
- 2008 G6
- No visible chip in key
- Bought with only 1 original key & FOB
- Made a copy of original key at home depot, with a plain, metal key.
- Lost original key (&FOB)
- Copied key opens the door and turns aux power on, but does not start ignition, the 'security' symbol shows on the dash
- Tried to 'program' the copied, plain metal key a few different times (i.e: 10 min turned on 3Xs), with no luck. The security light never goes off even if i leave it in for more than 10 min
- Ordered a 'Pontiac' key (&FOB) off of Amazon (has good reviews that it has worked)
So now my question is - can I get the new blank 'Pontiac' key cut at a regular locksmith using the plain, metal, un-programmed key, then program the Pontiac Key myself?
I found a service (KeyMe) that says they will come to my house and do everything for $100-$200, but I would really like to save that money if I can! Please HELP!