Cost of replacement keys - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
ASE expert

Garage
Cost of replacement keys

Do you know you can take the plastic rubber of the top of your key carefully and remove the small RFID chip. You can them take the cover off the steering column and glue this right under where the ignition key goes and then get regular keys made which then do not have to have the chip in them? You just have where ever you get your keys cut make them for the same blank of a older non security GM blank. RFID stands for Radio-frequency identification (RFID) uses electromagnetic fields to automatically identify and track tags attached to objects. The tags contain electronically-stored information. Passive tags collect energy from a nearby RFID reader's interrogating radio waves. The antenna is near the bottom of the lock and key cylinder. Only consideration is now if a thief was to break into your car it can be stolen by old conventional method of breaking the cylinder out. Really how many "thieves" are going to know you did this unless you go around telling everyone. Most car thieves know what cars have security, g6's being standard. You never hear about them being stolen like Hondas. If they are it is usually some one who had access to their keys or a tow truck. It is a way to get spare keys made for around three dollars now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
ASE expert

Garage
I had a guy who worked at Home Depot argue that I HAD to have that $140 dollar key for a Chrysler. (irrelevant). RFID is the same on most cars. I made him reluctantly match up the blank that was the same as my key without a chip which was a older Caravan key. I then made him come out and watch me start the car, only AFTER I told him why, after having some fun with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in