New after market catalytic converter want work. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

New after market catalytic converter want work.

I have a Pontiac G6, 2.4l-4cyl.The original catalytic converter was replaced for about 3 yrs. ago. This catalytic converter only worked for about 2 yrs. I drove with the check engine light on ( Po420) until inspection required something to be done. I bought a new aftermarket converter from amazon for about $190, and replaced it myself. The check engine light would still not clear/came back if reset. I measured the temperatur in the front and rear of the converter. The temperatur is supposed to be 100-150 dgr. farenheit higher at the rear when when converter is working. I had a little lower temp at the rear than at the front. That means: converter is not working.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I am wondering if there can be something else that case the converter not to work? I have read that a leak in the intake manifold can make the converter to not work.
Does anyone else have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 AM

I had this issue as well on our '07. If you search you might find the post (https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/1...fter-year.html). Short story in 250K miles I replaced the cat 5 times. Original went 100k. They were expensive at that time so I bought a tubular style. It cracked so I bought a Dorman. First one was bad out of the box so I replaced it under warranty 2 weeks later. It lasted a while and I replaced it. Then a year ago it wouldn't pass emissions again and so I replaced it again. A week after it passed the light was back on. P0420. Both O2 sensor voltages look good. They were replaced at one point as maintenance. I put injectors in it 9 months ago. Replaced the valve cover gasket a year ago. New plugs. Tried a fouler cup on the downstream O2 early on. At one time the state mechanic looked at it and found nothing wrong so we got passed for 1 year that way. So a month ago we sold it. This was really the only problem we had with it other than both front bearings died a week apart(and the steering that wasn't recalled for '07 but finally was). Never had a starter, alternator, a/c anything, etc. Brakes went 60k or more with GM pads. Really was a nice car other than the check engine light. I have heard that GM has a less aggressive flash for these but never found any concrete info. I considered having this code turned off using HP Tuners, but the last few years the standard changed and now all readiness monitors but 1 have to set with no active codes instead of earlier it was no active codes and had to be 1 week from a code clear. In the early days we could usually drive a week without idling at all and the light would stay off. We could pass emissions and a day or so later the light was back on when we went back to normal driving. P0420 was the only code it ever set. If it had an intake leak I could never find it. I used either GM or FelPro gaskets each cat replacement. So I feel for you. Been there, done that.

Last edited by markdtn; 11-29-2018 at 08:35 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

HI,
and thank you so much for answering.
This is the 3rd. catalytic converter on this car. When the po420 code came back on, I was thinking that I would do it right and ordered a after market converter.
The light didn't clear at all with this converter, so I had to trick the sensor by installing a fowler. The light is out and I passed inspection. I know that the converter isn't operating like it should because the temperature at the end is lower that at the front. I saw on you tube that it there are a leak on the intake manifold it could cause the catalytic convert not to work. Intake manifolds are very often made of a syntetic/plastic material and can easily crack according to this posting on you tube. Well at this point I am not sure what is causing the converter not to operate like is should, and I am forced to use the fowler to keep the engine light off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in