Rough Idle - Headlights Dim in Drive Thrus? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Rough Idle - Headlights Dim in Drive Thrus?

Sometimes while sitting in a drive through my 2010 G6 (2.4L) seems to idle a bit rough for a few seconds sporadically, the RPMS will drop slightly and my headlights dim then it goes back to normal a few seconds later, it's like it stutters a bit. My battery is only 6 months old, so I was thinking it could be related to my alternator/belts possibly? Or is this normal? I do have 131k miles and original motor mounts so I was thinking it could be related to those as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Yeah, if you don't have a battery light coming on I would suspect a pulley is beginning to seize up. If you only notice it at idle and it's intermittent it's probably when the A/C clutch is engaging and putting more drag on the system.

08 G6 3.5L Sedan - Daily Driver
97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Weekend Warrior
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

I had the belt and tensioner replaced recently, but the AC compressor is the original one from 2010 so I am guessing it's starting to go bad? Can I be proactive and replace the clutch or will I need an entire new compressor? I can't remember if I had the A/C on or not when this happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:17 AM

The A/C clutch will engage even when defrost is on. I would get the car to operating temperature, open the hood and have someone turn A/C or defrost on, you'll be able to hear the clutch engage with a click usually and if thats when your problem occurs I would suspect the compressor. It will only be available as a complete unit and you'll need to recover and recharge the freon when it's being replaced. Another way to do it would be to unplug the compressor connector so it never engages and drive around, if you still have the problem then it's not the compressor.

08 G6 3.5L Sedan - Daily Driver
97 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Weekend Warrior
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 AM
2007 gt retractable

the battery is only used for starting the car.it runs off the alternator.what is happening is when your idle drops the alternator voltage drops and the lights dim.you might want to find out why its idling badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in