Exterior chrome door handles - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
08 convertible

Exterior chrome door handles

2008 convertible
I just lost the pass side door handle chrome overlay. So several questions:
1. Was the factory chrome option a chrome overlay piece or was the handle itself chrome? Perhaps a previous owner added the chrome overlays on my car?
2. Are the front door handles the same for 2 and 4 doors? I see lots of chrome overlays on eBay but they're all for 4 doors. None for 2 doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:04 PM
2007 G6 GT conv

Garage
Door handles

I just replaced mine because the dealer did a poor job of painting to match several years ago and the paint began peeling.
They are no longer in business, so could not go back.
I went on eBay and found a pair of chrome handles that fit great (although I did have to trim the gasket a bit so that it
wouldn't catch on the handle when opening) And they look fabulous. The front handles of the 4 door as well as several
other GM vehicles are interchangeable.
The caution is in replacing them, be very careful with the releasing screw - that you have a method for holding it when
backed out. They disappear down into the door too easily. Look up replacing G6 door handle on YouTube. It took longer
to watch than to do it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
08 convertible

Thank you buzz1009.

I bought a new chrome 4-door handle from eBay and it does fit the 2-doors. Yes I had to trim the gasked also.

For others doing this: there is a simple trick to not dropping the screw. You don't take it out. You only back out the screw until the back part of the handle is loose and can be removed. At that point the screw is still held securely and won't fall off. Simple to do, just don't use a screw gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in