After market antenna - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lampoon
  • 1 Post By dxG6
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
 
After market antenna

The radio reception on my 2006 G6 Sedan is horrible. I wondered if any other owners out there have tried installing an after market antenna for better reception, or if they have a fix if this is a common problem?
kisgrigg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Moderator
 
waterfowler76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,022
 
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Im also curious, i have the same problem in my 07.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
waterfowler76 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Junior Member
 
off-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2
 
My eSI repair database doesn't cover the 06-07 G6 but the diagnostics say to check continuity of the coax cable from the antenna to the radio and/or amplifier.

I don't know if the G6 has a similar problem but I do know that a common problem with the GEN-V GA was that there was an antenna connection behind the front passenger kick panel that commonly disconnected causing poor reception.
off-track is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:12 AM
08 convertible
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 179
 
Right. Poor radio reception is never "normal" in any modern car. Something is broken or faulty in some way. Bad coax connection is a prime suspect. The radio itself could be defective. So no, I don't believe an aftermarket antenna would solve your problem.

Is the reception bad on all stations, both AM and FM?
dxG6 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire
 
Lampoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Alamo
Posts: 5,348
    
Antenna is in the glass. Metal in the tint kills reception.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Lampoon is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:01 PM
2007 gt retractable
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 266
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Antenna is in the glass. Metal in the tint kills reception.
then whats that black thing sticking out of my quarter panel?
zenish is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire
 
Lampoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Alamo
Posts: 5,348
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenish View Post
then whats that black thing sticking out of my quarter panel?
Im guessing you have a convertible? Sedans and coupes antenna is in the glass.
Signal booster is under your headliner toward the back. It can go out.
zenish likes this.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Lampoon is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
 
Ok, I will try and tie a few things together here. My car is a sedan, and the antenna is definitely in the glass. The reception is weak on all stations, even ones I know that normally get good reception in my area. I will try to get access to the coax at the back of the radio, and I assume there is another coax connection at the back glass. I will wring it out with a multimeter and make sure there is good continuity. If it is not good, does anybody know the run of the coax? My intuitive thought is that it goes behind the front passenger kick panel and through the right side rocker panels to the trunk. The reply from "off-track" (above) leads me to believe there may be a connection behind the kick panel as well. This will take some time, but I will post my findings afterward. It may be a few weeks, though.
kisgrigg is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Old far...er...tinkerer..
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 297
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisgrigg View Post
Ok, I will try and tie a few things together here. My car is a sedan, and the antenna is definitely in the glass. The reception is weak on all stations, even ones I know that normally get good reception in my area. I will try to get access to the coax at the back of the radio, and I assume there is another coax connection at the back glass. I will wring it out with a multimeter and make sure there is good continuity. If it is not good, does anybody know the run of the coax? My intuitive thought is that it goes behind the front passenger kick panel and through the right side rocker panels to the trunk. The reply from "off-track" (above) leads me to believe there may be a connection behind the kick panel as well. This will take some time, but I will post my findings afterward. It may be a few weeks, though.
There's an antenna amplifier under the headliner. According to my factory manual, the "Antenna Amplifier Module" is located "Right rear of the roof, under the headliner".

So the wire from the rear window grid goes to this amplifier. From this amp, the coax goes to the radio. There's also a pink wire from the radio which supplies power to this amp.

I'm not sure of the routing. If I can find it in my manual, I'll post back. For now, my best guess is the coax goes down the C-pillar on the passenger side, then behind the rear seat ahead of the passenger side wheel well, then under the carpet towards the front, coming up behind the carpet in the area between the radio and glove box.

In my experience, the contacts on the grid on the rear window break loose. Inspect the window and check the wires. I think there should be 3. Two are usually about halfway up, one each side of the window, supplying power and return for the defogger. The third wire is usually up high on the glass, connected to a separate grid near the top of the glass that functions as the antenna.

If the wire is broken from the glass, you can get a repair kit at parts stores. It uses conductive epoxy for gluing the contact back onto the window.

If the antenna is connected to the amp, the next thing to check is to see if you have power and ground at the amp. With the radio on, check to see that you have 12V on the pink wire at the amp. Also check that the amp is connected to ground - that its ground connection has not come loose or become broken.

My thinking is that your weak reception is either a broken connection from the grid to the amp, or no power to the amp.

If you need to trace the antenna from the amp to the radio, it's a bit of a pain, but not too awful - it's not a heater core

You'll need to remove the rear seat, and the front passenger seat, along with the trim along the rockers. But follow the wire, and only remove what you need to as you go from back to front.

But before you do that, pull the head unit and inspect the antenna connection there as well. That is, look in the obvious spots first, then start the tedious part of removing seats, trim and floor coverings.

HTH.

Doug

.

Last edited by plano_doug; 03-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
plano_doug is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:34 PM
08 convertible
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 179
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano_doug View Post
If you need to trace the antenna from the amp to the radio, it's a bit of a pain, but not too awful - it's not a heater core .
Check for continuity of the coax between the 2 ends (front and back) first. You only have to dig it out in the unlikely event that the coax is broken in the middle.
dxG6 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Old far...er...tinkerer..
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 297
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxG6 View Post
Check for continuity of the coax between the 2 ends (front and back) first. You only have to dig it out in the unlikely event that the coax is broken in the middle.
Good point, I agree - do this easy step first. But keep in mind, the coax is a wave guide. It can be damaged enough to impair the signal without the center conductor failing the continuity check. For example, if it's been rubbing on something, the outer shield could be messed up which can result in a weaker signal at the radio.

FWIW, I need to do this on my F-150 Every time, after a rain, I get static on my AM stations. I'm thinking, somewhere on the coax, there's a bad spot that's contributing to this. Alas, I haven't mustered the energy to tear into it I'd rather sit at the keyboard instead

Doug
plano_doug is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:22 PM
08 convertible
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 179
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plano_doug View Post
But keep in mind, the coax is a wave guide. It can be damaged enough to impair the signal without the center conductor failing the continuity check. For example, if it's been rubbing on something, the outer shield could be messed up which can result in a weaker signal at the radio.
It's a stretch to call coax at 100MHz a waveguide, but he has bad reception on all stations, AM and FM. So a coax that behaves the same at 1Mhz and 100 Mhz doesn't have any waveguide "problems".
plano_doug likes this.
dxG6 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
 
So. The continuity on the coax is good, both center wire and shielding. The shield is not shorted to the center conductor or ground. I found the stud that connects the coax to the backglass antenna, and the connection is fine. I took the pink colored wire off of the antenna amplifier module, and there is no voltage there. The wiring diagram I have shows that the power comes from the radio unit. Does this mean that the radio/DIC unit is the culprit? God, I hope not.
kisgrigg is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:51 PM
2007 gt retractable
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: charlotte nc
Posts: 266
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisgrigg View Post
So. The continuity on the coax is good, both center wire and shielding. The shield is not shorted to the center conductor or ground. I found the stud that connects the coax to the backglass antenna, and the connection is fine. I took the pink colored wire off of the antenna amplifier module, and there is no voltage there. The wiring diagram I have shows that the power comes from the radio unit. Does this mean that the radio/DIC unit is the culprit? God, I hope not.
not a big deal,just hook it to a circuit thats only on with the ignition switch.
zenish is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 AM
08 convertible
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 179
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisgrigg View Post
I took the pink colored wire off of the antenna amplifier module, and there is no voltage there.
Make sure you check it with the radio on and on the AM or FM setting (not XM or CD).
dxG6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After Market Remote Start/Alarm Issues AFTER Recall Repairs djinferno Problems and Solutions 0 02-03-2015 11:30 AM
After market keyless entry WhoaThereBigFella Problems and Solutions 1 09-11-2006 08:23 AM
After market XM or Sirius anyone?? White Wolf Car Audio, Video and Security 13 01-09-2006 09:15 PM
G6 After Market Wheels DRCMSC Problems and Solutions 0 07-10-2005 09:28 AM
G6 After Market Wheels DRCMSC Problems and Solutions 1 07-10-2005 09:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome