Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Rebuilding the front end on a 09 G6 GT

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rdusel 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting this saturday I will rebuilding the entire front end on my girls GT. Its a 09 and has 100,00k miles. I will replace struts, hub bearings, tie rod ends both inner and outer, sway bar links, lower control arms, ball joints. It will be on YouTube if anyone has any questions or needs to see how any of these components are replaced. I got everything including the whole strut assemblies off Ebay from a US manufacture in California for $305. And free shipping. Below are pics of parts and here is the first video :surprise:

Attachments

See less See more
1 5
#2 ·
Looks like you will have a fair bit of work ahead of you. I have had to do some of the parts piecemeal, but not that much in one go. Wish you the best of luck and hoe the videos turn out well. I am sure they will be of help when our turn comes to do this.

#3 ·
Rebuild front end

Ya I do this for a living so I am estimating it should take me about 4 or so hours. What is going to considerably shave off time is I got the struts complete so no monkeying around swapping springs and bearing plates on the struts. Also my lower control arms I ordered with new bushings and ball joint installed so same deal. That right there is going to make it fast and simple. :wink2:

#5 ·
I did the same work on my G6 a couple of years ago.
Not a bad job at all compared to other cars I've owned. The quick struts take a good 3 hours off the job.
Be careful tightening the back of the lower control arms, watch the torque as the part you are clamping down on is aluminum.
On my car the mileage was low (60K) but all of the rubber had rotted and fallen off so water got into the joints.
Made the car ride nice afterwards. The only lingering issue I have is one of the strut top plates make a creaking sound when turning, I can live with that.
Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.