Replacing the exhaust manifold in my driveway? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Replacing the exhaust manifold in my driveway?

So I've gotten a CEL for the catalytic converter being shot a couple times now, and my car is super sluggish and getting horrendous fuel economy, so clearly the cat is shot and I think clogged up.

I tend to avoid spending money on this car as much as possible, but the horrendous fuel economy is eating up a lot of money in gas, so I'm trying to get this fixed as cheaply as possible.

A new cat is around 300$-ish off Rockauto which isn't too bad, but I'm willing to bet having it installed will probably near double that price. So I'm wondering how feasible replacing it myself in my driveway would be using just a jack and some hand tools. Worth saving the money or is it a pain in the ass and should I just suck it up and pay someone to do it?

Its on the 2.4 ecotec engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:40 AM

"So I'm wondering how feasible replacing it myself in my driveway would be using just a jack and some hand tools"
I did mine in my garage using the same tools. Just make sure you spray some rust solvent on the bolts and give it time to work. Thankfully none of them are stupidly hard to get to...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:53 PM

Doesn't require any welding skills?

I took a look under the car and that sucker is buried under a lot of stuff. I would hate to do that job myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 AM

Then yours must be a lot different than mine (2.4 Ecotech). Once you get the bolts out of the manifold and the one down by the firewall, then its only 3 bolts to disconnect from the exhaust pipe flange. And no, no welding required provided you get a good quality replacement that has the Cat already welded to the pipe (most are). At worst, you might need to unhook a hanging strap to provide some flexibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in