Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2005 G6 GT 3.5 Oil Leak

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ricklaverd 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I am about to start tearing down my engine in a week or two and Im sure I will have many questions along the way so I thought I would start this thread and get it going.

My first step will be to try to locate where the oil leak actually is. Its a small leak, I would estimate no more than 5 drops or so per ride.

The drivers side of the engine appears clean and dry. I can visibly see oil build up on the passenger side all along the side of the lower intake manifold. There is also oil built up on the arm under the pulley. For the most part the oil I can see looks dry.
When I look under the car I can see oil all over the pan and in a couple other locations but I can not see where it may be coming from.

What I find odd is that I dont seem to see the oil leak until after I have driven and parked the car, then I will come back some time later and see the oil on the ground.
So I take this as my first clue and hope someone will have an idea about it.

#2 · (Edited)
Hmm nothin huh guys, tough crowd in here lol

There is a pipe which runs along the valve cover and into the water pump. It has a bolt holding it down which I removed. There is another bolt at the top part above the water pump which Im not sure what it is for.

Is this pipe pressed in there or should I be able to pull it out and do I need to remove that top bolt to do so?

#3 ·
for the oil, I have a similar "worse after driving" leak that I believe to be the rear main seal. I notice the oil on the metal plate that connects the oil pan to the transmission. it also appears on the oil pan etc. If the drivers side is dry it maybe the front seal. By far the most common problem quoted here is the gasket on the oil filter neck, but that you normally notice oil on the starter motor and surrounding areas from what I have read.

For the pipe a picture may well be your best bet to get a response. Hard to know exactly what you mean without one. There is a coolant return pipe that sits on a plastic riser that is held in with a single bolt. The riser itself has two bolts to the engine block. Both have an o ring to help seal them if I recall and just pull out once the right bolts are removed.

#4 ·
Hey thanks man. Sure I have some pics. I have changed the gasket for the oil filter housing before so I know thats not it at least.
The first pic is the pipe I mentioned. I removed the lower bolt and it was still pretty snug so I didnt want to just yank it out and break it. Im not even sure if thats the water pump.

This pic is showing the oil around the lower intake at the front of the engine. It goes all the way down from here and I dont know if I have multiple leaks or what. Underneath the oil pan and all surrounding areas seem to just have oil all over...

Then here there is even more oil under the pulley and on the left, some kind of hub for my wheel axle, Im not sure what that is...

And here the Rear valve cover just appears to be covered in oil. I dont know how but behind it seems to be dry...

My plan is to start with the lower intake and valve cover gaskets but Im not sure where to go from there as its really tough to know where its coming from but the oil I see all around that lower intake gives me a starting point.

#5 · (Edited)
Well I got the Lower Intake off today. I could not find any obvious gasket damage though I suspect the 4 corners of the lower intake gasket where the pieces meet could have been failing as I saw the most build up at those corners. The same sealant was used on the valve covers at the head joint and I think this sealant could have also possibly been failing.

For now I will clean everything up real nice and wait for my gasket kit and hope for the best.
I still feel like I could have another leak somewhere though, possibly the front crank seal or the oil pan which I believe can both be done without having to mess with the top half of the engine again.

Oh that pipe I was asking about popped right out once I had everything else out of the way.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey guys is it recommended to put sealant where the head meets the lower intake when installing the valve covers?
There was a dab of sealant on there when I took it off but my Fel-pro kit did not mention sealant but it did mention putting sealant on the 4 corners of the lower intake gasket so Im just curious as to what you guys do.

Also there is a tube which runs from the air intake hose to the rear valve cover. I pulled it off the intake and the other side pretty much fell out of the valve cover.
It seems pretty loose and I dont see anyway to keep it snugly in there.

Would a new hose fit more snug or is this just the way it is?
Do you guys use type of sealant or filler for this hose when installing it?

My kit came with 2 gaskets for the egr valve. Both are shaped exactly the same but are made of different materials. One is metallic looking and the other looks like a normal gasket material. Whats the difference, why is there 2 and which should I use?

#9 ·
No I did not. I may have closed up some leaks with all the new gaskets but there is still a leak.
The leak seems smaller than it was and if I had to guess Id say its the oil pan.
Id love to fix it but I do not currently have any way to lift the engine unfortunately.