3Likes
  • 1 Post By twolfgram
  • 1 Post By davez26
  • 1 Post By twolfgram

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Air Bag Light On DTC B1000-00

2009 Pontiac G6 Convertible

Aig Bag Light on DTC B1000-00 SDM Malfunction and B0086-01 RT Impact Sensor Short

Dealership said new SDM $600 and Impact Sensor $200, plus labor.

So this is what I found out. Ordered a good/used SDM (Airbag module) from a salvage yard from a similar G6 Convertible that did NOT have the airbag deploy with zero front end damage. You need to match the part numbers with your old unit. Mine #15259225. There are other numbers on the unit that may or may not match. Cost me $50 plus shipping. You have to make sure your part numbers match so you have the same module that you are pulling out. Some have side airbags in the seats etc. Make sure yours is the same.

I went to a U-Pull it salvage yard and pulled a Right Side Impact Sensor off a G6 ($7) that did not have front end damage and no air bag deployment. Make sure you also match up the part numbers on this also. Installed the Sensor and SDM/Air bag module. Everything put back together and hooked up battery. Started car and BINGO no air bag light!! I did NOT have to sync the SDM with the Body Control Module (NO Relearn was Necessary with a Tech 2 or equivalent). I guess sometimes both modules share the VIN of the vehicle.

Took apart my old SDM which is "sealed". Corrosion inside!! These units are not actually sealed. The connector where the pins are have holes that lead into the circuit board. The SDM shorted out and I am guessing caused the B0086-01 and the B1000-00 SDM to set.

This may or may not be your same problem, but for a few hours of work and under $100 I fixed this myself. You can rent a scanner from a local parts store to read the SRS codes. These scanners will not clear a hard code. Only fixing the problem turned the light off.
plano_doug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:41 PM
08 convertible

Great info. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

Nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Garage
Twolf.... How difficult is it too get the SDM module out of the car. At the time I needed one the dealer also wanted 600 bucks. I had a used one that the dealer did not want to install. I knew it would be good but I had to convince them. Wtf who knows why? I kept the old one but never opened it up. I knew also that it was not stolen as I bought the parts car from government salvage.
My second parts car will again have a working module and would like to pull it before sending the rest of the car to the scrap pile. I did not take the first one out of the car myself. But heard that it can be a pain. I have also heard that there is a diode that can fail or blows when in a collision.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Air Bag Light On DTC B1000-00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertme View Post
Twolf.... At the time I needed one the dealer also wanted 600 bucks. I had a used one that the dealer did not want to install. I knew it would be good but I had to convince them. Wtf who knows why?
I can't speak for your specific dealer, but generally, the reasons are liability and warranty. There isn't a way to test these as deployed/non deployed, nor the history.
A factory unit we can go after the factory with an issue, and we know exactly where it came from. Unit from elsewhere could have any history. Maybe deployed, maybe not deployed, but in a flood (see previous post about sealed units) or who knows.
You have a problem down the road, the client blames the dealer, the dealer blames the client or seller; you have an accident, an ambulance chaser goes after us because 'we know better'....and it just gets to be more trouble than it's worth.
My $.02
Anyway FYI, we had an apprentice install an SDM once, broke the rules, had the battery connected, (no, no, no!), flipped the module over for some reason, blew every damn bag in the vehicle!
Be careful out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
plano_doug likes this.

Last edited by davez26; Yesterday at 09:46 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 06:22 AM

Garage
Many thanks Dave. All very good information. Maybe some dealers could use some kind of customer relations/communications training.
I had to quit that dealer for a different reason.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

The SDM is buried under the parking brake and shift lever. I took my time and took pictures of how things came apart. I was going to leave step by step directions, but you can see once you remove the four bolts holding the center console down how to proceed. You do not need to remove the shift lever knob as some Youtube videos show. It also helped to have the convertible top down to give me enough clearance to pull the console over the shift lever.
plano_doug likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in