Difficulty accelerating, and bouncing in and out of overdrive - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Difficulty accelerating, and bouncing in and out of overdrive

Recently, my 2008 G6 GT (3.5L) has started misbehaving. Sometimes, when I accelerate from a stop, the car will start to move normally, then stop responding for a few seconds. If I hit the gas pedal harder, the RPM’s don’t even rise. But either the car will start moving normally, or (if I’m not in first), it’ll downshift and everything will be fine. This is especially bad on my uphill driveway. If I take my foot off the gas entirely and then press it again, it usually accelerates normally.

Also, if I’m cruising between 35 and 60 mph (most noticeable at 40) with almost no pressure on the accelerator, it will sometimes kick in and out of overdrive every few seconds.

I last had the transmission fluid and filter changed about eight months/20,000 miles ago. The shop said it was likely the last owner had never changed the fluid; it was black, but they saw no clutch gunk nor any loose metal on the magnet. They also did my plugs and wires at the same time.

No check engine lights. What do you think is the problem? I’m guessing I could have a bad accelerator pedal or throttle position sensor, but I’m thinking the transmission is shot, unless I’m “lucky” and it’s just low on fluid somehow (no known leaks).

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 130K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 PM

Could be a clogged cat/exhaust? My G6's cat is shot and it struggles to accelerate, although mines the 2.4 so I don't know if the exhausts are that similar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in