window won't go all the way up. - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Convertme

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
2007 gt retractable

window won't go all the way up.

i unhooked the battery to remove the starter.now the window drops an inch when i open the door but doesn't go back up when its closed.i can manually close it but it drops again when i get out.any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:42 PM

Self destruct mode has been enabled. Eject! Eject!
Actually, you need to reset the auto drop or whatever.
The car can lose timing when you disconnect.
Sometimes it keeps it, sometimes it doesn't.
Get in, fire it up, press window down switch and hold it until the bottom plus five seconds, pull the switch to go up and hold 5 seconds after it hits the top.
After this, you should have normal operation back.
That should be it, or something very similar - if not - it can be searched.
I am doing this from memory while at the laundromat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Garage
Hi Zenish
Dave's is correct but you may have to re index all four Windows. If you have your manual it should be in there.
The converts have this. And the 2 door Coupe I believe.
Convertme
When I get home next week I will try to send you a picture from the manual, unless you found it already.
Remind me if you need to. My memory is failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:58 PM

I am pretty sure 2 door cars only, only front windows.
The front glasses go up into a weatherstrip to seal the door, as there is no window frame, and the feature allows the glass to roll down an inch to clear that weatherstrip, and the door to open.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:18 PM

Garage
Yes Davez26,
I should have been more clear. I meant all four Windows on the convertible. Whenever I have have done my convertible, I did all four Windows.
The sedan does not require indexing.
I will try only the front windows next time.
Cheers
Convertme 0
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
Self destruct mode has been enabled. Eject! Eject!
Actually, you need to reset the auto drop or whatever.
The car can lose timing when you disconnect.
Sometimes it keeps it, sometimes it doesn't.
Get in, fire it up, press window down switch and hold it until the bottom plus five seconds, pull the switch to go up and hold 5 seconds after it hits the top.
After this, you should have normal operation back.
That should be it, or something very similar - if not - it can be searched.
I am doing this from memory while at the laundromat.
THANKS!it has been raining all weekend and i needed to drive the car.that fixed them.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 AM

I figure you’ve got the problem fixed, but here’s that page from the manual
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1557837801858.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	13865  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 AM

Not sure why the book says you have to do it to all 4 vert windows when only 2 doors have them. If you set the timing on all of them, are they then supposed to come up automatically after you put the top back up or something?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM

Garage
Ken, thanks for posting the picture of the manual. And yes the windows are all suppose to return to the closed position. After you get the message that the "top movement/ or ,,, is complete". If you continue to hold the button, then all four Windows will close on the convertible.
I cannot remember exactly how the message reads, hence the awkward wording above. If you do not continue to hold the the button to close all four Windows. You can close them individually. You do not have to recycle the entire top.

Last edited by Convertme; 05-14-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Clean up the wording slightly
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertme View Post
Ken, thanks for posting the picture of the manual. And yes the windows are all suppose to return to the closed position. After you get the message that the "top movement/ or ,,, is complete". If you continue to hold the button, then all four Windows will close on the convertible.
I cannot remember exactly how the message reads, hence the awkward wording above. If you do not continue to hold the the button to close all four Windows. You can close them individually. You do not have to recycle the entire top.
I just used to close them all individually after it came back up, though the next time I put the top back up I'll have to check that out. Kinda excited it does that, now I've just gotta wait for it to stop raining long enough to wash the car and get use of the convertible top.

Yea I think you've got it, it's like some abbreviated form of top movement complete.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Member for life

I have a 2007 g6 convertible, passenger window indexes if itís cold outside, but as soon as it hits 40į it stops working also my interior lights do not work on my passenger door. I have tried resetting the with the battery I have tried to reprogram as well. Everyone keeps telling me you have to replace the door latch. Any suggestions?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:49 PM

Garage
This is a little off the wall but worth looking into considering I have seen it one time about 30 years ago. Also considering that the wiring on the convertible seems to be an issue for many.
At colder temperatures the rubber or plastic that covers the conductive wire contracts, allowing the wire to make contact. At higher temperatures the same material expands and the wires no longer make contact.
A good friend (deceased now ) and mechanic taught me this and much more. I swear this is a true story. Take a look and give it a try. The second half of the story is when you go to fix broken wires that Bend a lot like in your door use wire from an aircraft. It is much more pliable and will not break so easily.
Last but not least, coincidence or not, both vehicles were gm products.
jeremy93 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in