08 Temp gauge and air not working..HELP - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

08 Temp gauge and air not working..HELP

Hey there, I have an 08 G6 with roughly 112,000 miles. It's a 3.5L V6. Two days ago, the car was running and driving great. Yesterday when I started the car and for about 20 mins after, it ran great, all of a sudden my temperature gauge on my dash dropped down to 100 (a 0 reading) and my air conditioner stopped blowing out cold air. Matter of fact, I'm not even sure the fan would kick on... I turned the car on and off multiple times yesterday and it still did the same thing. After doing some research, I was told it could be the thermostat control switch. The check engine light is not on...My mechanic is out of pocket for a while and I am sadly a single momma whoe doesn't work during the summer so I am having to have a friend help me with this... can anyone tell me what I'm looking at or where the thermostat control switch is even located? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 PM

I would guess that either the thermostat is stuck open or the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sender could be faulty. I thought both were supposed to produce fault codes. There are youtube videos on how to change each. The thermostat is behind a hose fitting just above the AC compressor on the front lower left hand side of the engine when looking from the front. The temperature sensor is below the throttle body I believe. The youtube videos would help you locate them.

Good luck with the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECT Problem Codes.gif
Views:	18
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	13933  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
I’ve got an 07 Malibu in the family that’s had this same problem for years. I’ve changed out many temp sensors and thermostats and it’s always come back. The last time I messed with it I cleaned the connector to the temp sensor real good, die electric greased it and it lasted months.
I did find that when it happens if you disconnect the battery for ten seconds it will work again. Which rules out the thermostat being stuck open. My next step is to Change out the actual pigtail plug end. Then the only thing left would be the ECM.
Good luck.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in