Starting issue - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Starting issue

I've had this 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for a couple months now... it runs perfectly fine, drives amazingly. It has 172k miles.

Only a couple issues, one of them I'm eager to resolve: when starting the car, I MUST push the gas a little for it to actually start.
If I just put my foot on the brakes or just turn the key, it'll just keep trying to start but will end up failing.
It will only fully start when pushing the gas a little.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I've ran fuel injector treatment through it multiple times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahesau View Post
I've had this 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for a couple months now... it runs perfectly fine, drives amazingly. It has 172k miles.

Only a couple issues, one of them I'm eager to resolve: when starting the car, I MUST push the gas a little for it to actually start.
If I just put my foot on the brakes or just turn the key, it'll just keep trying to start but will end up failing.
It will only fully start when pushing the gas a little.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I've ran fuel injector treatment through it multiple times.
Dude Iím having the exact same issue! I just bought spark plugs a new air filter and Iím going to do an oil change and fluid change this weekend. I bought the car used last Thursday with 164k+ miles and itís a dream besides that and other small things.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
Dude Iím having the exact same issue! I just bought spark plugs a new air filter and Iím going to do an oil change and fluid change this weekend. I bought the car used last Thursday with 164k+ miles and itís a dream besides that and other small things.
The first weekend I had the car, I did an oil change and put in a new air filter. The previous owners used conventional and I had put in full synthetic. That didn't make any difference at all really. The car still does it to this day, and it's kind of annoying to press the gas while starting the car. It's almost like not enough air is getting to the engine to start it, and when you open the throttle a little then it starts like it should. Any ideas anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Can confirm taking apart throttle body and cleaning with carb cleaner fixed the issue, and changing spark plugs. It was disgusting the amount of carb build up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can confirm taking apart throttle body and cleaning with carb cleaner fixed the issue, and changing spark plugs. It was disgusting the amount of carb build up.
Thank you. I'm going to try this out when I get the time. I figured it had something to do with the throttle body or the idle air control valve.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Air conditioner

This is throwing me.I tested the power plug with a test light going straight into the compressor and there's no power.I checked all fuses that said anything dealing with the air conditioner including the a/c relay.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM

If you need to hold throttle open a bit on a cold start it means the engine is lean on fuel. Giving it s little pedal input makes the fuel injectors pulse more, and finally the engine has enough fuel to start.
Possible you have a dirty mass air flow, but the engine should still start. I would be very suspicious that you have a weak fuel pump. Donít think this car has a fuel filter, so probably a worn out fuel pump.
Once the car is running it warms and needs much less fuel, so it probably runs fairly good. This is just an early warning that your fuel pump is probably on its way out. Donít get stranded!
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can confirm you are completely right! Took apart throttle body and jeez it was a mess. But car starts like it should now! So much more convenient. It's the little things that matter
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sDog4127 View Post
If you need to hold throttle open a bit on a cold start it means the engine is lean on fuel. Giving it s little pedal input makes the fuel injectors pulse more, and finally the engine has enough fuel to start.
Possible you have a dirty mass air flow, but the engine should still start. I would be very suspicious that you have a weak fuel pump. Don’t think this car has a fuel filter, so probably a worn out fuel pump.
Once the car is running it warms and needs much less fuel, so it probably runs fairly good. This is just an early warning that your fuel pump is probably on its way out. Don’t get stranded!
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in