Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Mu spare tire is completely under water

923 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Softballdad 
#1 ·
I drove the car for the first time in a while without my bass on and heard the sound of water swishing back and forth. Did a quick check and spare tire compartment half way dull of water. The drain in the back by the license plate is stuck shut. 2 questions...where could the leak be and how do i open the drain? Any thing will help seeing as i am stuck.

#2 ·
The leak could be coming from several places. One way to check for it is to put one person in the trunk with a flashlight while another person sprays various spots around the rear of the car. Hit the rear window seams, the trunk seam, etc.

When I found water in my G6 spare tire well, it turned out to be a leaking tail light. The car had been bumped in a parking lot, and the gasket between behind the tail light had become dislodged. With the gasket re-positioned, the leak was cured.

It's been a while, but as I recall, I had to remove some of the bumper trim to get at the leaking gasket.

HTH.

Doug

#3 ·
I drove the car for the first time in a while without my bass on and heard the sound of water swishing back and forth. Did a quick check and spare tire compartment half way dull of water. The drain in the back by the license plate is stuck shut. 2 questions...where could the leak be and how do i open the drain? Any thing will help seeing as i am stuck.
The leak could be coming from several places. One way to check for it is to put one person in the trunk with a flashlight while another person sprays various spots around the rear of the car. Hit the rear window seams, the trunk seam, etc.

When I found water in my G6 spare tire well, it turned out to be a leaking tail light. The car had been bumped in a parking lot, and the gasket between behind the tail light had become dislodged. With the gasket re-positioned, the leak was cured.

It's been a while, but as I recall, I had to remove some of the bumper trim to get at the leaking gasket.

HTH.

Doug

Thanx it was the rubber piece foe the tail light not in all the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.