Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Starter issue??

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Dan Osier 
#1 ·
Ok so heres my issue that I have not been able to find on here. Went to the store the other day and when I started my 2006 Pontiac G6 the starter would not shut off. Turned key off, pulled it out starter still cranking away. By the time I had popped the hood all the lights in the car started flashing and it finally died. Starter was just burnt to crap. Any ideas where I should start as far as a solution goes? I cant believe just my starter was bad. The electrical signal to keep cranking came from somewhere. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
What is a Bendix gear?
A Bendix drive is a type of engagement mechanism used in starter motors of internal combustion engines. The device allows the pinion gear of the starter motor to engage or disengage the flywheel of the engine automatically when the starter is powered or when the engine fires, respectively.
Check the Bendix drive

#6 ·
You also mentioned that your starter was burnt. Heat and electrical are like oil and water. They just are not good together.
The heat may have caused a short in the electrical sysTem. You will need to find out where the short is. With all the new electronics in the cars these days I get lost real fast.
You may need to get expert help at this point.

#7 ·
No actually I smashed the corner of the starter wire under the starter when I installed a new one. So I have chased the wire all the way back to the fuse box went and rebuilt a new one but heres where I choked the goose. When I pulled the connector end out of the housing on the bottom of the fuse box I made a mental note about which tiny slot it was in. Now after running around I forgot which hole it was 3rd or 4th over and the internets only giving me the diagrams of the top of the fuse box. Thats my current dilema lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.