Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Need help with HVAC mode actuator

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  boomer 
#1 ·
Hi fellow G6 owners,

I got into my 2006 G6 this morning to go to work, and found that I wasn't getting any air through my dash vents, only the defrost and foot vents were blowing.
Temperature is working fine, and the knob to select which vents seems to be working as well. After doing some research on this forum, it seems to be the Mode Actuator that controls where the air goes. I believe I found the correct actuator from Dorman, but I have no idea where to start for a replacement. Does the mode actuator require the entire dash to come out? It seems like in some GM cars there is a way to "reset" the actuators by pulling a fuse, does this work for the G6? If anyone has a video/repair manual for this actuator you would be my savior. Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
I have not done it myself. The guide I have states the following. Hope it helps and good luck with the replacement

Mode Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the fuse labeled HVAC CTRL (BATT).
Remove the left closeout panel.
Remove the knee bolster.
Remove the mode actuator retaining screws.
Remove the mode actuator.
Disconnect the mode actuator electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

Install the mode actuator.
Install the mode actuator retaining screws.
Tighten the screws to 1.5 N.m (13 lb in).

Connect the mode actuator electrical connector.
Install the knee bolster.
Install the left closeout panel.
Install the fuse labeled HVAC CTRL (BATT).

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi fellow G6 owners,

I got into my 2006 G6 this morning to go to work, and found that I wasn't getting any air through my dash vents, only the defrost and foot vents were blowing.
Temperature is working fine, and the knob to select which vents seems to be working as well. After doing some research on this forum, it seems to be the Mode Actuator that controls where the air goes. I believe I found the correct actuator from Dorman, but I have no idea where to start for a replacement. Does the mode actuator require the entire dash to come out? It seems like in some GM cars there is a way to "reset" the actuators by pulling a fuse, does this work for the G6? If anyone has a video/repair manual for this actuator you would be my savior. Thanks for reading.

#6 ·
To my knowledge there are three distinct flaps / actuators. The Mode actuator controls where the airflow is directed - floor, front vents, windshield, etc. Blend is the mix of hot and cold air. The recirculation controls where the air is drawn from - inside or outside of the car. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.