Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Convertible trunk light

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Knightal 
#1 ·
The light in the trunk has a switch built in. You push on the rear of the lens and you hear the switch click. But mine doesn't do anything. What is it supposed to do? Turn off the light when the trunk is open?

Also, how does the lens come out to replace the bulb? Do you just pry it out brute force?

#2 ·
This one will make you roll your eyes.

The black housing is held in with four clips, two top, two bottom. Prying on the case hard enough to remove it WILL break the clips.

There are two ways you can go. You can either remove the whole panel from the trunk so you can reach the clips to GENTLY squeeze them and therefore remove the housing,

Or...

You can remove the lens to reach the bulb. Carefully insert a small pocket knife blade between the rear of the case and the lens and pry the tab away so the lens comes free at the rear. Then, insert the knife blade between the top of the case where the lens hinges and pry the case up until the hinge pin is free and you can pivot out the lens and remove it. You can then reach the bulb. Reassemble and promise to never do it again.

Good luck.

Mark

Attachments

#10 ·
Aha! Mistery solved. So from all this it appears that:

Up to and including 2007, the trunk light was strictly manual. You used the switch to turn it on and off.
Starting with 2008, they installed a tilt switch somewhere to turn the light on when the trunk opens. But they left the switch in the light, cheaper than changing the light. They just bypassed the switch in the light so it doesn't do anything.

#12 ·
My 2007 has the tilt switch and switch on-light does not really do anything as the system is set up. Light goes off when trunk is closed.
However, I added strips of self-adhesive 12V led tape around the perimeter of the trunk (because the factory light stinks) and connected it to the switch on the light.
So they go on when the trunk is opened and off when closed. Or you can use the switch on the light to make them stay off all the time.

#13 ·
Probably my mistake in the first place, so this is an attempt to correct and an opportunity to apologize to dxg6 for confusing him and anyone else that I likely will confuse.
My 06 GTP switch will turn the trunk light on and off like Mark's 07.
My 07 s work more like yours does DX. Open the trunk, light comes on. Close the trunk, light goes out.
Maybe a mid year production change, I don't know?
I don't know if Mark's car is older or newer than mine?
One of mine was built April 2 2007 and the other one may 15 2007.
I hope this helps DX and sorry about that.

#14 ·
I don't know if Mark's car is older or newer than mine?
One of mine was built April 2 2007 and the other one may 15 2007.
I hope this helps DX and sorry about that.
I've run several VIN's through a decoder and have gotten build dates for all of them, except mine. It comes back as "Unknown". The VIN label on the driver's door says "08/06" which makes it a very early '07 car. Convertme, looks like my car is older than your two. Wouldn't surprise me if it features some leftover parts.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.