Intermittent metallic noise in front end - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Intermittent metallic noise in front end

2008 G6 base model w/3.5 V6 4sp auto. After about 5 mins of driving the car starts to make a metallic noise somewhere in the front of the car. It has the consistency of a plastic trim panel flapping in the wind but has a metallic sound to it. At 1st I thought it was some plastic trim that was flapping around as I drove. Its frequency and volume do not change at different speeds or during cornering. It almost sounds like a coffee can full of ball bearings rotating randomly. With the driver's side window rolled down the volume increased but did not if I rolled the passenger window down. I assumed it was the driver's side front wheel bearing so I replaced it. Upon test driving it after the wheel bearing replacement, the noise returned but it is very faint now in volume. Almost difficult to hear. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Not sure but my car made a funny noise from near or under the engine. It turned out to be an O2 sensor being loose in the exhaust pipe. It was clanging around on the pipes and some heat shield. Does the noise seem to be coming from a moving suspension part or somewhere on the body of the vehicle?

Sharpie26

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Sedan modded slightly
http://www.cardomain.com/JCollins26
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Been bit by this situation before on a couple different make vehicles...
You determine a bad wheel bearing by LOUD noise and fix that only to find the other side is going bad(similar noise bit not as loud) also that was not fixed. More common for front hub bearings to go bad due to weight and cornering forces being higher than in the rear hubs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel65 View Post
You determine a bad wheel bearing by LOUD noise and fix that only to find the other side is going bad(similar noise bit not as loud) also that was not fixed. More common for front hub bearings to go bad due to weight and cornering forces being higher than in the rear hubs.

I wish I could be editing my posts by now.....

You did properly tighten the axle nut WITH a TORQUE WRENCH, correct?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie26 View Post
Not sure but my car made a funny noise from near or under the engine. It turned out to be an O2 sensor being loose in the exhaust pipe. It was clanging around on the pipes and some heat shield. Does the noise seem to be coming from a moving suspension part or somewhere on the body of the vehicle?
I definitely was coming from the driver's side near the front of the car. After replacing the wheel bearing the noise decreased significantly to the point where it is barely audible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That was one of my theories as well. I'll wait and see if the noise gets any worse and then replace the passenger side bearing.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wish I could be editing my posts by now.....

You did properly tighten the axle nut WITH a TORQUE WRENCH, correct?
Yes, 159 ft-lbs.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster View Post
Yes, 159 ft-lbs.

OK... Thought of another possibility from your initial post of noise description. I hope this isn't the case, but a possible failing outer CV Joint. The boot at the hub was NOT torn when you took things apart for the hub bearing was it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster View Post
2008 G6 base model w/3.5 V6 4sp auto. After about 5 mins of driving the car starts to make a metallic noise somewhere in the front of the car. It has the consistency of a plastic trim panel flapping in the wind but has a metallic sound to it. At 1st I thought it was some plastic trim that was flapping around as I drove. Its frequency and volume do not change at different speeds or during cornering. It almost sounds like a coffee can full of ball bearings rotating randomly. With the driver's side window rolled down the volume increased but did not if I rolled the passenger window down. I assumed it was the driver's side front wheel bearing so I replaced it. Upon test driving it after the wheel bearing replacement, the noise returned but it is very faint now in volume. Almost difficult to hear. Any ideas?
Look for a metal ring hanging around your exhaust pipe. It has rusted off your center resonator. Highly this will solve your issue.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK... Thought of another possibility from your initial post of noise description. I hope this isn't the case, but a possible failing outer CV Joint. The boot at the hub was NOT torn when you took things apart for the hub bearing was it?
Both boots looked good.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertme View Post
Look for a metal ring hanging around your exhaust pipe. It has rusted off your center resonator. Highly this will solve your issue.
I'll take a look at it this weekend when I change the oil. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in