Dealer says NO COMM WITH BCM - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By waterfowler76
  • 1 Post By rebel65

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Dealer says NO COMM WITH BCM

Well should have known better...Bought this "mechanics special" with main problem of a shot trannie(cooler line broke) and some front control arms needing replacement. That's all taken care of and car runs quite nicely, and everything is working properly save a LF --- on the DIC readout AND when I went to a "local"(39 miles away) dealer to have them program 2 new remote fobs to the car, they came back and said ..no comm with BCM, can't do the program, want to have us diagnose it at $110. per hr??
I've found the BCM and pulled both upper and lower connectors to check things there, the upper has dielectric grease and looked good on pin integrity both harness and BCM. The lower looked good for integrity, but had no grease.
I have a cheap code reader for OBD11 and that works fine at the DLC. I would REALLY APPRECIATE someone who could tell me what I'm missing here for further investigation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 PM

Garage
Not sure but who knows with this electronic stuff. I found out that some cars have special policy on them up to 2022 or 240000 kms.
This is something to do with the BCM and brakes I think.
You might check into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C473DA01-952E-41DC-B620-F6503CA42AD8.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	14081  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info and reply! Unfortunately this car is showing 164,000 miles on the clock, the used trans I installed had 60k miles. Going to my tire place this week and see about another tire sensor(cheaper than going into more expensive stuff). But this being the wife's ride, she wants those remotes working as it also has the remote start feature(shows turned on in the DIC menu). The shop I use for tires also has a scanner that can interface with BCM/CAN BUS and will see what it does at that time too. Just have to wait till the end of the week, as they are closed for a short vacation right now.
Wife had the car all day today, so am going to look into the BCM more in the morning and get some more dielectric grease for connectors also.
I noticed that the fuse/relay chart is not part of the cover over the BCM, without going and looking thru the owners manual, is there someplace that lists each position and what they're for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

ALL "quirks" are resolved. It's nice being friends with a shop owner and not just a customer! He came back early from vacation trip, said it was TOO HOT where he was in Texas! I called to leave a message about getting in and he answered the phone, said bring it right over!
Hooked his Snap On CAN BUS capable scanner to it and got right in an programmed the remotes and found that one of the wheel sensors had not "registered" into the BCM, so he took care of that with a couple more steps after doing the remote fobs.
Now all that needs to be done is to get the pair of key blanks cut and "pair" them into the system. From what I found on YouTube...with one working key they say people can "pair" additional keys without scanner link up to the BCM...I'll see when I get the blanks cut....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

OK, Still can't EDIT my posts so here goes the best part that I left out!
DID IT AT NO CHARGE!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
Glad to hear you got it all figured out.
rebel65 likes this.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Well, I made the mistake and went to our local hardware store and asked if they would copy cut one of my new blanks...sure they said and did the task. key slid right in like it should....BUT wouldn't turn OR come OUT! Thankfully after 10 minutes of nerve wracking "jiggling" the key came out without any damage to the ignition cylinder. the single key we got with the car still works fine.
Not that cost bothers me, as I got both remotes and 2 blanks for $22.00, but now am nervous about anyone else but a pro locksmith or (heaven forbid) any of the 3 GM dealers near me possibly cutting my remaining blank. Nearest(and worst for customer friendliness) is 22 miles away, the other 2 are about 40 miles away! I'd have to look up a locksmith...but afraid they'd be even further away!
Wife is very HAPPY that remotes work and no warnings from TPMS and DIC tire info all reading correctly to position(I checked them yesterday).

EDIT: And THANK YOU very much for allowing me edit privileges.... I need that a lot when on the other forums I participate on for the other make rides in my "stable"!....Yes I live out in the "sticks"!

Last edited by rebel65; 08-23-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

HAPPY DAYS!
I went to our nearest Walmart, they sell and cut transponder keys. Yes it was a 78 mile round trip, but they cut my provided transponder key FOR FREE and within 5 minutes I had it "paired in" with the single working key we had. They were willing to sell me a key and cut it for $32.95 if I wanted one of theirs. So I lost out with one blank, but at $22.00 for 2 blanks and 2 fobs...no complaints here!
zenish likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel65 View Post
HAPPY DAYS!
I went to our nearest Walmart, they sell and cut transponder keys. Yes it was a 78 mile round trip, but they cut my provided transponder key FOR FREE and within 5 minutes I had it "paired in" with the single working key we had. They were willing to sell me a key and cut it for $32.95 if I wanted one of theirs. So I lost out with one blank, but at $22.00 for 2 blanks and 2 fobs...no complaints here!
i ddn't know walmart did that.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenish View Post
i ddn't know walmart did that.
I can't say they have transponder blanks for every year and make, but they did have for the 08 G6(same as malibu and 1 or 2 other same GM platforms. I was surprised they cut my supplied key for free...But I had also worked at that Walmart for a year and a half between 2 back surgeries, and my nephew is one of the TLE managers there(but was his day off).
YES, it's nice having connections. As I stated before I had to pair the key to the car as they said they could not do that. Even if it was one of their own keys used. GM says the fobs and keys need their proprietary scanner/interface, but I found a youtube that showed how with one working key.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

I should have been a bit more precise on how they "cut" the blanks at Walmart. They have to have a key to work from, but they use a newer system that takes "pattern" of the key and NOT just clamp the key into a duplicating holder. That is how my first blank got messed up and wouldn't work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in