Alternator / Battery Battle (and Cargo Light) - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alternator / Battery Battle (and Cargo Light)

I have a 2009 G6 GT Convertible. Over the past (9) months I've replaced the battery (3) times. Had the Alternator and battery both checked at AutoZone each time.
The Alternator would only charge 13.8. After we loaded it with Headlights (Bright) A/C on High, it finally dropped to 13.1, then dropped to 8.? after about 15 sec's.
So of course I replaced the Alternator this time. After install with new serpentine belt (which took me longer to replace the belt than the alternator because the routed it through the Front Engine Mount), the Alternator charged at 14.23. Boom... Happy Camper.

Drove it to work next day, all is fine. Go to start it after work, and it almost didn't start again. Got home, battery was at 12.47v. Alternator charging at 13.61.

Went back to AutoZone. Re-tested, and shows Voltage Regulator in the Alternator failed. Will have another one in the morning.

I've seen articles Googling the issue that show the Alternator will default to 13.8 if it looses connection to a controller ? Could that be the real issue ?

In looking for anything to draw power, the Cargo Light in the Trunk won't turn off. Maybe it does... Kind of like the Refrigerator light, you don't know...
The switch won't turn it off. So in trying to carefully remove it, I broke the tabs on the top of it off. Googled, and went to GM Parts Giant and others to find the switch.
What is it called, and where to get it ? Cargo Light Switch didn't work to Google.

Thanks in Advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok Guys. I found the "Lamp" Assembly - Rear Compartment Courtesy... GM 25783872. Hope that's it.

Hoping replacement alternator fixes my issue. If not, back to searching.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:55 PM

Measuring Parasitic Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunfireSSR View Post
I have a 2009 G6 GT Convertible. Over the past (9) months I've replaced the battery (3) times. Had the Alternator and battery both checked at AutoZone each time.
The Alternator would only charge 13.8. After we loaded it with Headlights (Bright) A/C on High, it finally dropped to 13.1, then dropped to 8.? after about 15 sec's.
So of course I replaced the Alternator this time. After install with new serpentine belt (which took me longer to replace the belt than the alternator because the routed it through the Front Engine Mount), the Alternator charged at 14.23. Boom... Happy Camper.

Drove it to work next day, all is fine. Go to start it after work, and it almost didn't start again. Got home, battery was at 12.47v. Alternator charging at 13.61.

Went back to AutoZone. Re-tested, and shows Voltage Regulator in the Alternator failed. Will have another one in the morning.

I've seen articles Googling the issue that show the Alternator will default to 13.8 if it looses connection to a controller ? Could that be the real issue ?

In looking for anything to draw power, the Cargo Light in the Trunk won't turn off. Maybe it does... Kind of like the Refrigerator light, you don't know...
The switch won't turn it off. So in trying to carefully remove it, I broke the tabs on the top of it off. Googled, and went to GM Parts Giant and others to find the switch.
What is it called, and where to get it ? Cargo Light Switch didn't work to Google.

Thanks in Advance for your help
A complete charging system check includes: Fully charge battery. A discharged battery may take 5 - 6 hours to charge with the typical 6 amp home battery charger. Measure voltage at the battery at idle with no loads -- minimum battery voltage 14 volts. Measure battery voltage loads on -- A/C and lights. Battery voltage decreases as the current load increases. Minimum voltage should be about 13.2 volts (assuming a 25 amp load due to A/C and lights). Repeat these measurements by reading voltage at alternator B+ terminal (B+ terminal is the one with the heavy wire attached). If the voltage measured at the back of the alternator is more than 0.1 volts less voltage measure at battery, excessive circuit resistance is present which is typically caused by corroded or loose battery terminals. They need to be cleaned and/or tightened. Maximum acceptable AC ripple is 0.1 volt ACMaximum acceptable AC ripple is 0.1 volt AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in