P2176 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

P2176

Is there an easy way to fix this? I just moved and can't afford a massive repair bill. I literally just bought this car and with no lemon law here...i need to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

When it rains it pours...Sorry to hear of your situation.
First off, what motor size is under the hood and what year are you asking for.
Next what you can do is look at the throttle body on the intake manifold(remove the tube from the air filter to the motor's intake manifold. It may be very "gunked up" with oil fume residues and binding the round butterfly plate of the throttle body. A spray can of Seafoam throttle body cleaner and some "elbow grease" may be all that's needed to clean things up and allow the electric motor drive(there's no throttle cable on these cars)to work freely again.
Also look for the electrical connector on the throttle body and make sure it's properly connected and not damaged along with the wires from it along any "hot spots" along it's routing.
If that's all good and still giving trouble, you may need a new throttle body.
Good luck, and I hope things work out with just some cleaning care for your ride.

BUT PLEASE update your vehicle specifics on your profile page so members here can know what is being worked with should you need further help here.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

My apologies. It's a 2008 Pontiac G6 2.4L. My code reader and Dr. mechanic google told me that it was due to the ECM not remembering my throttle position at idle.

It was idling rough and would randomly die. Then it wouldn't start at all, but would crank and crank. So, I tested it and replaced the fuel pump. Once installed I think the ECM got used to the rough idle and continued to act close to before, except the car would idle by fluctuating between 500-1200 rpm.

I tried to reset the ECM by turning (not starting) the key position to ON for 60 seconds, then starting the car and letting it idle for 3 min. I did this a couple times and NOTHING. Finally, I think I got it reset by slowly depressing the pedal to the floor with the key to ON. I did this about 3 times and it started right up. It idled at like 1500 or a little more. I figured the ECM was finally learning the position, and drove it for about 20-30 miles between 55-85 mph to give it a good drive cycle.

When I got home she idled at 800-900 without any issue, but had new check engine codes. One was throttle position voltage low on circuit A, and the other code was throttle position voltage high on circuit B. However, she runs great but I don't know if it's temporary or of I gotta worry about the new codes lol.

Sorry about not giving vehicle info first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in