Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Car will die when fuel tank is full

8K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Convertme 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok my guess is that someone out there has experienced this. My red gt convert starts and runs perfect when fuel tank is half full or lower. Twice now, go to the fuel station and fill the tank with gas and within seconds the engine just dies.

Boomer, DX, 1 of (aka) mark or anyone else?

I eventually can get back to the house butbut for how long?

Thanks
Convertme

Ps. Look for my latest update under dxg6 thread regarding gas struts that are too long

#3 ·
As I recall, this is usually due to a clogged filter on the vapor recovery system, called the vapor canister. https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...hYyZvPWc2Jnk9MjAwNyZ0PWd0JmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM=

You will need to verify that. Not sure the details how, tho.

What I've read is that typically it gets clogged by topping off the tank when the car is filled up. Fuels gets into the vapor line and goes into the carbon filter in the canister.

I have never had to fix one on my G6 (or any other car), so I can't shed a lot of light on it. But that's what I've read.

Doug

#9 ·
Not really. Water vapor is a product of combustion. When the pipes are cold, that vapor condenses and you sometimes see it come out of the tailpipe in liquid form. As the pipes heat up, no more condensation and any previous condensate boils off.
Not sure how you determined "moisture" in the 2 cars. There can only be liquid water when the exhaust is cold. There can be differences in how long each takes to get hot, maybe one is a dual exhaust and one is not, etc. But 2 engines generating the same hp will generate the same amount of water vapor and I don't see how a fault can generate more water.

#10 ·
Because I have a few extra parts lying around, I thought well let's try the MAF sensor but that made no difference. Take that one off the list.
The vapor canister is out of town. I am kind of concerned that it might be the ECU but I will pick up the one from the car when I get vapor canister. Can anyone tell me if it needs to be programmed to the car??
Thanks
Convertme

#13 · (Edited)
My bet is the Vapor Canister Vent Valve Usually found in back near the fuel tank or in one of the rear wheel arch areas. Had to work with same type valve recently on my Dad's 07 Buick LaCrosse (I hate that car).
But more importantly to your problem...From what I know of these GM computerized caliginous clanking collections of - - - -(wiz. of OZ)
you should have been having a CEL illuminating and codes for the problem.

EDIT: SORRY folks, but I'm NOT a full on convert of GM products yet. I go MOPAR a LONG way back and before that was a VW man!

#14 · (Edited)
I had hoped of resolving this once and for all today but hardly got to the plate before other things come up.
Maybe tomorrow. I am thinking that you are right though. It seems like I am getting more vacuum in the fuel tank since I replaced the purge valve not sure if this changes my mind or anything for that matter. From what I read, the canister valve is a well documented failure part.
On to the matter of gm..... The general has been noted for placing some parts in hard to get at locations and the canister on these cars are no exception!

#18 ·
Called Thursday
They got the car in Friday
Picked it up Saturday at 1:30

Can't get much better than that....but I think I got a little lucky. The farmers are all busy farming in and around the small community where this dealer located.
I will take it though, I did drive by several city dealers just because of the small town feel that I have always had and enjoyed.
Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.