Battery doesn't charge, please help! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Battery doesn't charge, please help!

To make a long story short, I was removing the starter without unplugging the negative battery terminal.

1. B+ (starter solenoid connection nut) was shorted to the oil drain pan (ground) with my wrench thus creating a huge ass spark.
2. Driving home the same day, the battery light came on then the car slowly died. It would not crank, the solenoid click is audible.
3. Using a DVOM (Volt meter) confirms the battery was down to >9 volts. The battery is less than a year old and the connections are solid.

More information:

- Connecting B+ directly to alternator output engages the starter motor.

- The battery accepts a charge from another vehicle.

After "charging" for 30 minutes the G6 starts and runs. However, I slowly observed the battery voltage lowering from 12.4 to 9 volts as it ran. This is typical behavior that I expect since alternators aren't made to charge a dead battery.

After looking at a schematic, I believe the fusible link could be blown. With the fuse as the suspect, I connected the positive probe of my DVOM to the positive battery post and the negative probe to the alternator stator output and got 12v which means there is a difference of 12 volts; B+ wasn't making it to the alternator.
I followed the alternator output cable but I couldn't find the fusible link. It's very hard to see in this cramped engine bay, so I gave up on that. It's probably on the bottom of the vehicle where the starter was. Who knows?

Using jumper cables, B+ to the alternator output engages the starter motor and the engine turns over (When the battery is charged enough to do so)
I think the starter motor has a case ground. If it does, then that means the fusible link ISN'T blown. This conflicts with my DVOM testing. Perhaps I made a brain fart?

My conclusion is that I wired the starter wrong? when I put it back together. It's a simple circuit yet it hurts my head just to think about it!
The next time I have access to a lift is in 5 days, so this kind of sucks.

What do you guys think? Anybody who knows about the G6 starting/charging system lend me a hand? It would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_104425.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	14105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_130300.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	14107  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Thielen View Post
Using jumper cables, B+ to the alternator output engages the starter motor and the engine turns over (When the battery is charged enough to do so)
Just to clarify, B+ meant positive battery terminal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Jesus christ it would be amazing if I could edit this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:58 PM

Did you check the maxi fuses in the fuse panel? A lot of that stuff is run thru the under hood fuse panel.

EDIT: I think one needs 15 posts before edit privileges are given, it's that way with a number of forums I am active on for makes of rides in my stable.

Last edited by rebel65; 08-27-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in