Looking at a 2006 G6 with a few issues. - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pmn357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Looking at a 2006 G6 with a few issues.

Hello,
We are looking at buying a 2006 G6 for our daughter. It only has 92k on the odo. I noticed that the coolant looked murky and rusty. It does not look like oil contamination. I assume this is Dexcool? I have other GM's so I am aware of some of the isues with Dex. Do you think a thorough flush will be enough, or is this a sign of a greater problem?

I also noticed a small clunk in the steering. This only happened at low speed while turning. What do you suppose this is? Possibly related, there is a little wear on the outside drivers front tire.

Next, their is a CD stuck in the player. The owner says he has tried a few fixes posted online with no success. Has anyone encountered this? Any thoughts on aftermarket stereos?

Finally, how hard is it to het new keys and fobs made for this car? I think the owner only has one key and the fob does not work even with a new battery.

The owner wants $3k for this car. I am thinking it needs a coolant flush and it will need two new tires by Christmas. Exterior has lots of scrapes and scratches but no serious damage. Interior is great. Engine compartment is clean and tidy. Runs and drives beautifully. So I was thinking about offering him $2400. My daughter will only need this car for about two years and she will basically be driving it to work and school.

What do you folks think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:48 AM

Dexcool is kind of a rust red, but a flush is likely worthwhile if it has not been done previously.

The clunk could be worn suspension parts. I would be checking the strut towers (bearing part at the top of the struts that allows the strut to turn with the wheel and connects the strut to the body, sorry cant remember the proper name) also the sway bar links.

Swapping the radio for an after market unit is a bit of a pain as the driver information centre is part of the radio. You could also consider a unit from a breakers yard, but then need to be coded to the vin with a tech II or similar higher end scan tool. To be honest I have never used my cd player, I rigged up a Bluetooth unit to replace the XM that I wasnt planning to pay for and stream instead (you may have to consider other Bluetooth options depending on the cars features).

Keys are relatively simple. You need to get transponder blanks cut if you want it to be able to start the car. These can be learned without a scan tool. There is a thread recently that Walmart was able to do this, so I am guessing other places can too. The key fobs will also need coding to the car with a Tech II or similar. The original one might simply have a worn out button insert. You can find replacements on ebay for a few bucks or some have had success with conductive paint or gluing tin foil to the underside of the buttons.

I have not looked at pricing for some time, but using the faults to get a better price seems reasonable. Also worth mentioning that parts are becoming harder to find. The convertible, for instance, is probably the most difficult. However, most of us seem to get by.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:48 PM

I agree with what Boomer said.

In addition, my experience is that cooling systems are historically neglected and if the car has 92K and has never had a coolant change, it's past due. My experience with DEX hasn't been bad, but note that mixing most any other coolant with DEX will cause it to gel and is a VERY "bad" situation. Definitely plan on a flush and ask the owner if he's had to add any coolant on a regular basis during his ownership.

Keep in mind the age of these cars and in spite of the failing parts availability, there are still a lot of G6's on the road giving good service. Proprietary Pontiac stuff is a tough find, but some aftermarket stuff is out there. (New aftermarket headlight assemblies from Taiwan come to mind. The ones I bought from an eBay vendor fit perfectly.) Major mechanical items and common service stuff (brakes, hoses, filters, engine components, etc.) are all available.

I don't think you're out of line negotiating per your thoughts. Good luck.

Mark

Still standing in North Idaho...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

If you go with an aftermarket radio/head unit and want to keep the DIC (driver information center), Metra makes a kit (99-3303). I put one in mine and it works pretty good. It's not cheap though at around $200. May be worth the investment to keep the daughter happy.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

IMO, I would be looking at just what motor is in it the L4 or the 3.5 or if there are bigger motors in that year. My (the wife's) 08 gt 4dr has the 3.5 v6 and is quite durable and easy to work on. I've seen the L4 model also and am not impressed with it. I also think the L4 engined ones are the ones with a somewhat problematic electric steering system(but I could be wrong).

Posted mileage sounds good, but depending on just what actual equipment it has (if base and L4 motor) he wants TOO MUCH...talk him DOWN!

I am the one who posted of Walmart being able to sell and cut the transponder keys, and I got a pair of remotes and pair of transponder blanks for $22.00 US thru Amazon(ours is a fully loaded 084dr gt with remote start) Look up my posts from my profile page, I'm all in with tax and plates for just under $3,ooo. US

Good luck in what you end up doing!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice. You guys helped me make up my mind.
I gave the guy $2k after explaining the steering issue. He seemed to understand. I think he was burned out on all the Craigslist scammers by now anyway.
The car has the 3.5L engine. It's a sedan, I am guessing base model. It's a lot of fun to drive. It's funny because my daughter will drive it like a grandma and never really appreciate how sporty this thing is.

I am looking into the Metra adapter kit for the stereo. Thank you for posting that. I think this and a Kenwood could be good Christmas present.

Thanks again for all the advice. I will be posting a few more threads on this car since I will be the one doing all the maintenance and repairs.
rebel65 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 04:02 AM

Congrats! IMO you did well, and sounds like a great ride for your daughter. Yup I do my own work too, forums like these can be very helpful in helping one along with keeping them running.
Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in